D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
What's the preferred model of drinking system and backpack? I would like something I can lace into my body armor and not have to deal with separately. The Camelbak HAWG and MULE are looking pretty good.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I use a camelbak hawg, under my CP, hold 100 oz and I never notice it.

BTW, camelbak is now spending money on OHV type advertising, or so I here...at one time, they were only advertising in Sierra club type publications, but the uproar from us changed that.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I have a Camelbak Cloud Walker and love it. I mount it to my CP and it holds my water, camercorder, cell phone, wallet and some tools.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Originally posted by CO Dan
BTW, camelbak is now spending money on OHV type advertising, or so I here...at one time, they were only advertising in Sierra club type publications, but the uproar from us changed that.

Yep, it's true. I just saw a full page Camelbak ad in, I believe, the May issue of Dirt Rider. I thought back to the days around here when guys were cutting their Camelbak tags off the product and mailing it back to the company. Looks like we got something done!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Summers Racing sold me on their system, but I never used it...have to ask Txbigguy about it.

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
I have one of the original Camel's from about 10years ago, and I like it, but it has some annoying problems.
1. When it's full, it turns into a 4" cylinder, so under a protector is not possible.
2. Attached to the protector, it strangles me since it pulls the protector backward. 70oz of water is nearly 5lbs.
3. It doesn't have sternum or waist straps, so it usuall slips and "armcuffs" me at the most inopportune moments, like some scary-ass trail.
4. If something shifts on to the bite valve during transport, it all leaks out and soaks everything.
5. The plastic buckle parts broke pretty quickly, but if I didn't crash so much that wouldn't be a problem!!! :)
Soooo... After sifting through a bizzillion models on their site (noting they,ve fixed some of these problems) I was thinking of something like the Lobo with room for tools but still smaller than larger. CODan, are you really thin? I don't think I could fit anything but me under my protector!!!:) :)

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I ordered a Camelbak MULE. Not their biggest, but big enough for an all day trail ride. I'll just cross my fingers about threading its straps in my armor.

I've had an ancient Camelbak forever, with its straps interlaced with my body armor. It's a 70 oz. system but you can only put 1.5 liters in it or it'll spill when you try to close the filler cap.

There are two tricks to wearing one on your armor. First, wear a fanny pack. The back of the armor will rest on it. Second, use a zip-tie or something to make a loop on the bottom of your front armor, then loop your pants belt through that.

ynot

Jun 5, 2002
I jsut bought a High Seirra water pack form Sams $18 nto $80 like Camelback and it is great. It has room for all my tools, phone, wallet and two liters of water and you don't ever relize it is there. I recomend you check it out before you spend the big bucks!!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'd also suggest checking some local stores. The last drink system I bought I found at Target. It was an Eddie Bauer model and it worked great. The upside was that it was about 1/3 the cost of an actual Camelback.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
On the other hand... When I got tired of unlacing the elaborate system of Camelbak straps threaded through my chest protector to go to hot shooting matches, and relacing it for riding, I bought a cheaper system from my local bike shop. I filled it up in the motel the night before a desert match, and its bladder leaked onto the sofa all night. Now at matches I use the P.O.S. carrier with the ancient Camelbak bladder. All those years, all those crashes, it still doesn't leak, whereas the P.O.S. bladder leaked the first time I filled it.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have used a few CamelBak "Lobo" models and really like them, I had a "target" low cost imitation and HATED it, the bite valve was at the wrong angle, the filler neck was small, and the water reservoir was made out of a almost brittle plastic like material. The CamelBak is far superior, it holds 70oz, a few protien bars, car keys, a cell phone, and a few small tools. I never ride without mine, even in winter.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
Look on that auction site (you know). I just bought two of them.
When you get there type in hydration in the seach box.
DEA

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Thanks woods_rider1. I thought the Lobo looked appropriate, those others are reeelly big. I think I'll go and get one today, I found one on sale for $45. '02 colors, but black is still available, and black is black to me!

Having physically looked at some generic ones this week, I agree with the quality assessments given. Stitching, material, and design are superior on the Camel's.

Off to "that auction site" thanks DEA

Top Bottom