Drinking systems.........

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
What does everyone use for a drinking system? I was thinking about purchasing the "soft" one. Does anyone know which "soft" drinking system works great and will not let me down?
Any replies are very appreciative.
-Thanks

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
I just got the H.A.W.G. and it fits good over my chest protector 100 oz of water and lots of room for food, tools, or what ever you want, down side it will get heavy! with a lot of stuff, filled with water it weighs 8.2 lbs:eek: but I like it. Keith

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I have a H.A.W.G and love it. As was said before, holds a lot of stuff and fit's great with a CP.

Lee W.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I have a Platypus. Holds 70 ozs, I'm really happy with it, it cost around $28 I think.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I had a hydrobak, didn't really work out for me.

Browsing the local wal-mart I was back in the bike section and found one made by "Next" It's great, very well constructed, has nice wide straps and even has the one to go around your waist. Holds 2 liters, has plenty of storage space for tools and whatnot. Cost around $30.

The one disadvantage, it has a spring loaded bite valve which in and of itself is really cool, I prefer it to the camelbak design. But, since it's designed for bicyclists it tends to not pull water into the hose as well, so you might have to suck or either stand up and lean forward. Other than the it's really cool :)

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
smb racing; cant you just bye the water reservoir and hose from camelbak? and put it in your ( Next ), I think it would work:D

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I actually don't mind the one that comes with it, the closure of the bag is just folding the top down and velcroing it. The wide open top makes it very easy to clean also.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Summers Racing (SRC)
If you want cheap, don't even look for it.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
!!TIP!!
After filling the water bladder turn the pack upside down and suck the air out, this makes the bladder more plyable(sp?) and less likely to POP when thrown off the bike and landing on your back:o , found this out the hard way last weekend.

andym

Jun 3, 2000
I like my Thor Radiator 3. Its comfortable, holds 2L of liquid, and has room for tools. My only dislike was the bite valve didn't allow as much water through it. I replaced it with a Camelback 90º big bite valve and now its perfect.

BTW... always do the tip of removing air. Not only does it lessen the chance of your bag popping, but you won't suck air in and it keeps the liquid from sloshing.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Target has a drinking system that is under $20.00, 2 Liter and is microwaveable.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
JPIVEY, my wife bought me one of those . They work pretty good.
Room for a small tool pack, cell phone, air pump, spare fasteners, and wallet too.
Called a "LLama" or something.
I fill it up and put it in the freezer for about 2 or 3 hours before riding.
Ice cold water all day! ahhhh.

Except now they have a 3 liter version -w- more room for more stuff.:mad:
Murphy's law i guess.:confused:

ktmmudd

Sep 5, 2001
I use the Target system too, no problems either. Also, according to the literature, the system includes the "BITE-ME" drink valve LOL!

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
another vote for the summers. it's very comfy, holds 3 liters & the wedge shape is cool for quick bladder changes. i've tried the 1s that hold tools (leftover from bicycle racing days), the weight gets bothersome. tried the fanny pack type, worked ok but it's a lot of weight held up just by a belt & the hose routing gets pretty complicated. cut a hose once when it got wrapped over the rear fender somehow, had to ride the rest of an enduro (about 60mi.) in the summertime with no water. had a bicycle 1 that closed with a zip-loc type of system, it was handy for getting ice cubes in but didn't seal all that well after a while, tended to leak. tried the ty davis 1 that is pressurized so you don't have to suck on it, never could get enough pressure in it with a bicycle pump. phew! you guys ought to sponsor me as a test rider!

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
and less likely to POP when thrown off the bike and landing on your back

it might have been wet, but at least some of the force of the crash was directed to popping the bag and not to the rider:)

Svock

~SPONSOR~
Nov 28, 2001
I have the Thor Radiator III. I went thru three replacement bladders (under warranty) becuase they all seperataed at the filler neck. After the third one I bought a Camelback bladder and used the Radiator back pack setup. Total Cost $60 . That is pretty high. I also have a Camelback M.U.L.E That is mainly used for mountain biking, with all of the dang tools you gota carry to keep them working!:D The MULE is great and would recomend it strongly. I got mine at BIG 5 I believe? If Thor has figured out the problems with their bladders, then they are a good buy! Just replace the bite valve with a $5 Camellback one and you are good to go!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…