MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'm was wondering who would be up for a small get together of us DNRer's of the NW sometime here in the not to distant future? I was thinking we could have it at the new facility in Longview. I'm gonna go check it out at the end of this month. I was thinking this place might work cause its got an MX track and they claim to have like 300 acres of trails and you can ride down to the columbia river. The MX track would be good cause its a natural terrain style track I've heard most of the jumps are singles and that the soil there is of a sandy make up so it would hold up to wet weather decently.

So far it sounds like it would satisfy everyones needs for who ever wanted to hit trails and who ever want to do mx. I'll know more about it after I go there. I just thought I throw this out here and see what ya all thought. Here's a link to the track website http://longviewmx.com But there isn't much info on the site right now.

I'd like to acheive maximum turn out, last time we tried this no one could agree on where to ride so it bombed. It's not like we're forcing ya to go ;) The whole idea of this is to get together and put names to faces and have fun riding, put that text into action. So who's with me? :)

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Sounds good to me! Here's some food for thought.

There's enough of us on the wet side to put something together over here and not wait for the snow to leave the high country. Weather is always iffy so close to home is good. A few of us get together as schedules and time allows and ride at Tahuya right now and Walker Valley is not out of the question. If any of you rode the Kilted Duck Scottish Trials last winter you know there are some challenging offroad opportunities there.

I'm a trail rider so the time invested to travel to Longview for 300 acres of trails doesn't compare favorably to a closer spot with more miles. Right now I can string together about 50 miles of primarily single track trail at Tahuya with a few open spots. There is easily half again as much double and 4x4 stuff total if you know where to look.

T-rat is checking on reserving some space at a not so secret DNR location when it opens this spring. Competition for this space is tough.

If, and this is a big if, the Thurston County board of Commisioners can be persuaded to reverse the decision to close the ORV park there would be a track available with camping and lots of trails. The key will be to bring enough public pressure to get the board to reverse the decision which is a possibilty as one of the board members that favored the closure left the position on the 1st of Jan. The situation underscores the need to be vocal and relentless in supporting the efforts of the NMA and others who are working hard to preserve riding opportunities.

Thats my .10, The soap box is free. Agree or disagree but input is helpful.

:thumb:

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Speaking of which, I need some dates if we want to have group camping @ the horse camp, and i need them really quick, 'cause the equestrians will lock that up for the year in no time. I was waiting until the NMA event calendar was posted, but it's not up yet, so we need to get on with it ASAP. Anyone who rides Tahuya knows the Horse Camp is the best camp site around, and is impossible to book once the sun has already come out. 1st upcoming events will be the Spark Plug Enduro 1st weekend of April, and Wet Duck Poker run last weekend of april. Will still be a bit wet, though. If anyone belongs to a M/C club, see if you can get their scedule and we'll make a two or three day weekend around the event. Or, we can just pick a weekend that doesn't conflict with events elswhere.
Got my bike back, will be there today.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
The DNR site;
http://www.wa.gov/dnr/base/tahuya/index.html
doesn't specify when the Horse Camp will be open. I called the # listed on their site, was given an email address;
tahuyahorsecamp@wadnr.gov
and a voicemail# - 360-802-2771
The email approach is new this year. Last year I tried the voice mail a few times with no response, probably waited too late, got res'd up.
Out've at least 70 or so times I stopped by there in '02, I think I've seen it moderately full less than a dozen times, the rest 10 - 30% occupied. This year, I intend to get some dates reserved, I suggest some others do too.

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
That would be awsome I think it should be some time in feb. I have never realy experinced a riding get to gether hopefuly every thing will work out. I will defenetly be there.

Andrew

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by Tahuya Rat
I was waiting until the NMA event calendar was posted, but it's not up yet, so we need to get on with it ASAP.

I know someone with good connections :)

[shameless plug] BTW, my club (Cascade Family MC) will be putting on our legendary Grizzly Hare Scrambles at the Longview facility on March 2nd.[/shameless plug]

DATE (Series) / Event / Club / Location / Contact Number
02/23/03 (Y) (ORP) Filthy Pup Hare Scrambles / Mt Baker MC / Camp 18 / Dana Johnson (360) 398-2135
03/02/03 (Y) Spring HS / Eastern Washington Dirt Riders Assoc / Horn Rapids ORV Park - Richland / Don Grazzini (509) 967-2404 after 6pm
03/02/03 (Y) (ORP) Grizzly Hare Scrambles / Cascade Family MC / Longview / Carol Williams (253) 845-6317
03/09/03 (PRP) Team Tortoise - Lynnwood Motoplex - Cascade Industries Poker Run / Location: TBA / Tate Matherly (425) 330-3914 sales@cascadeind.info
03/23/03 (Y)(ORP) Euro GP / The Over The Bars Gang / Goldendale / Scott Doubravsky (509) 773-4853 otbg@gorge.net

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The grizzly harescrambles I was seriously thinking of doing that one, I know its an NMA event. Do you need to have a spark arrestor? I was thinking not cause its on private land. If it's not required then I'll really try and made it down I got everything else expect that. Darn I can't race 200C I'll have to race 250 4 stroke.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by MXP1MP
Do you need to have a spark arrestor? I was thinking not cause its on private land.

Like Tod says, you need an SA. That is an NMA requirement regardless of where the event is held.

NMA is also enforcing the sound test this year. Cascade has a particularly nasty Noise Nazi too. :thumb:
This one's prime directive is to rid the earth of land closing loud bikes.

Big tip for the first race participant. Sound test EARLY! It might be a logjam.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Originally posted by MACE

Like Tod says, you need an SA. That is an NMA requirement regardless of where the event is held.

NMA is also enforcing the sound test this year.

I'd like to see them enforce both more strictly. I've raced Cranberry the last 2 years, and never had to go through a sound check, or been checked for a spark arrestor.

Jeremy

Top Bottom