Dropped Circlip Into Bottom End!!!!

live2ryde125

Mar 11, 2002
HEy i was putting the new circlips on my piston today and stupid me forgot to put the rag back over the crank so ofcourse the circlip pops out and I "think" went down into the crank. I looked down with a flashlight and can't see it though. WHAT DO I DO?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Ugh I hate when that happens. Possibley a small magnet will find it. You can try to take a clean rag about the same width as the space in the cranks but fairly long and kinda roll the rag thru the bottom end by spinning the crank and feeding it in till you can grab it on the other side. just make sure it is a decently strong rag that won't tear and leave half of the rag in there , or remove the engine turn it upside down either way hope for the best

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Get one of those $3 magnets that are mounted on a rod from the car parts stores. Fish around in there with the tool until you find it. Or, try to rig up a small hose to a vacuum cleaner and try to get it out that way. Last resort, turn the bike upside down and shake the bike until it comes out. :eek:

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
try and use a air hose and you get a gas line connected to the end of the nozzle and push it down in there and blow it out. It work for me a few years back.

Einstein

May 27, 2002
at least you where smart enough to get it back out!! When I got my sled the guy couldn't figure why iy didn't run right...well idiot theres no compression from the piston eating the dropped circlip!

supahd

Apr 11, 2003
I did the same thing.... Unfortunately I noticed a circlip by my foot and thought it was the one that I thought was the one that fell in.... follow me.

Anyway I proceeded to break in my new top end and ruin the piston because in fact there was a circlip that fell in.

Now here's the question, I can see part of the circlip in the bottom... can I retrieve this with the magnet trick and all is well? Or do I need to tear into the bottom end?

The cylinder is fine (thank god) just scored my piston beyond use.

Thanks (crosses fingers)

Yours truly,
Dumbass

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
At this point, I would teardown and inspect the entire bottom end. No telling what else may have been damaged down there and it's no use putting it together again just to have it blow up once more :(

supahd

Apr 11, 2003
Here's another question:

How could the circlip get into the bottom end? There is no way for it to get into the tranny correct? It would have to either stay down by the crank (I can see it down there, most of it anyway) or go out the exhaust right?

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I meant the crank case (if you call the cylinder and piston the top end, that makes the crank the bottom end doesn't it?)

supahd

Apr 11, 2003
Yeah, you're correct, but what I'm thinking is that any peices of the circlip must be down by the crank or in the exhaust sooooo... couldn't I just flush out the crank with gas?

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
are you positive that there is no damage to any of the bearings in the lower end? If so you can do that. I've done it with the engine still in the bike by flipping it upside down.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…