biker

Sep 22, 2000
I need some opinions from owners of these bikes. I'm looking for 50-50 between road and trail. It will be one-up riding. My buddy has the street version DRZ, and he I don't think he is real impressed with it's road riding or the low end torque.

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
The DRZ is a great bike, and considerably lighter than any 650. I was ready to buy one myself when I came across a great deal on a XR400 with a 440cc big-bore kit. Wow! I am still surprised by this bike every time I ride it! Last weekend I rode it to Jawbone Cyn. (and back) -- over 100 miles each way -- to meet some friends. 75-80 mph up all the grades without hesitation. And, I'm 6'3", 275lbs.

Go for the lighter bike. You'll be much happier.

92cr

May 18, 2002
I used to own a 94XR650L.I'm 5'11" and weigh 190 and I found the xr to be a good compromise if your riding like you say 50%dirt/50%street.I took it on some nasty trails up here and while I had to work at it, it wasn't that bad.It does feel a little top heavy when you sit on it compared to a drz400 though.But all I did was put a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket on to lower the gearing and it was much better offroad and still reasonable on the highway.Still managed to squeak out 155km/h on a long straight road which is around 97mph.That's with a nicely optimistic speedo.All I did to the motor was hog out the airbox, take the diffuser out of the muffler and install a Thumper Racing insert so it would't get too loud.Never ridden the other two bikes you mentioned but I never heard much good about the street KLX.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I read a test on motorcycle.com where the KLX beat out the XR because it was just as dirt worthy but was much better on the street and had great gas mileage. If you are doing singletrack Get the 400 or convert a 650 dirt only bike.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The KLR comes no where near as being as dirt worthy as the XR650L. My brother had the KLR and it was heavy, way undersuspended, too wide, you couldn't jump it over two feet without bottoming terribly. But it had good power and was better on the street. I had the XRL, had just a tad bit less power then the KLR, but suspension was considerably better and I know I could get it about 5 feet in the air and still land comfortably. The XRL has MANY MANY more upgrade options available and wasn't too bad on the highway even at 80-90 mph (indicated).

I am real curios about the DRZ-S in comparison the the XRL. I sold mine and am starting to miss it and in NC, we can't dual sport dirt bikes or I'd have an XR650R no question.

This isn't the best jump I ever did on it, but it would jump:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jp2us/vw...om/bc/jp2us/lst?&.dir=/Riding&.src=ph&.view=t

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Sorry missed that the first time.

Was 96 the last year for the KLX?

Last edited:

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Sometime around 1996 or 97. The DS version was similar to the XRL. I remember seeing them advertised new in 98 for around $3600. Nice bike but never really took off in sales. Personally I would want to convert a XR 650R, WR 450, or DRZ with a DS kit. Or get a Gas Gas 450 with FI.

92cr

May 18, 2002
The street KLX had suspension that wasn't nearly as good as the XR's.The rear shock didn't even have a remote reservoir so it would heat up real quick.What looked like a piggyback reservoir was actually a tool kit.I have no doubt it made better power than an Xr.My friend's 96DR650 had quite a bit more juice on top and would pull away from me every time.Not by much but probably several bike lengths in a quarter mile.Mine sure had alot more lowend snap and was much easier to loft the front end.

|DW|The Rock

Jan 20, 2003
Let The Rock say this,

It doesn't matter whether its KLX or KLR. The only thing that maters is the comparison betwen KLR650 and any other.

This is where I am at right now. My bro |DW|RedRider had a KLR dual sport. Thing rocked on the road, but he has my old Honda for the dirt.....so we never realy tested the KLR there. However Dirt Rider issue had a 4 stroke shoot out and it compared the the dirt versions and made some reference to the duallys if I remember right. The DRZ never trailed off the RPMs according to White Bros Dynomometer, and torque was there the whole way thru. This made me say WOW. This beats the XR400 which is great for maneuvering but died on the hill climbs. I have the issue here some where. (looking) yup Feb 2002. Like I said it references the dually in some of the comparisons but not a strict shoot out on dual sports. Unless they changed the engine specs I would have to say that the DRZ would be the nice mid size. However a state trooper told me if your going to get a dually get it with the most power. I'll save the suspension on my 82 XR200R for the woods riding. KLR is the most comfortable tallest bike with plen-T of go motion. Thats what I am going with.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The KLR is the last bike I would pick for 50/50 dirt/street. KLR is good for sliding around on dirt roads and some open pasture off-roading...but it absolutely stinks at single track and 4 wheeler trails, not to mention jumping and log crossing.

eburatti

Apr 4, 2002
XR650L. It is the ultimate trail/street bike. It's a Cadillac on trails and loves to gobble up rocky terrain. I'm 6'4'', 225 lbs and I cannot imagine ever getting rid of mine. I find weight to be a problem only in the absolutely tightest conditions.

drzjim

Feb 6, 2003
I have the DRZ400S and love it. I have had it over everything and it just wants more. I ride with WR450's, XR400's and XR250 riders and keep up just fine. I use it everyday to work and back then ride it in the dirt on weekends. If you do a few mods (re-jet the carb, reduce coutershaft sprocket by 1 tooth, open the airbox, new tires, ...) I think you will be quite happy. I sure am! I have had it up to 94 mph on the road with the factory set-up. That is faster than I need to go, so the new CS sprocket helped me on the dirt and trails.

jacobpd

Dec 19, 2002
Just got a new one and put the FMF and UNI things on and wonder what the real deal is with air pump and air cleaner spark suppressor or back fire screen really does.....?.....and so on ?
two other friends are just picking up L's..........so we are all wondering what the set ups are...........the feed back in your folks forum is very good and am glad I stumbled onto it.........thanks folks. and ride safe......no make that go fast as H...and stay out of the hospital if possible........

jacobpd

Dec 19, 2002
You all have any more ideas on front and rear suspension, air cleaner backfire screen, carb stuff and pipe rcommendations?........air box mods.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
My past list of street legal "DS" bikes is as follows:
- '99 KDX200
- '99 KTM300
- '98 KLR650
- '95 KTM RXC400
- '94 R100GS BB
- '98 Yammie WR400
- '96 XT225

The current list:

- '87 Honda TLR200 Reflex
- '97 Beta Alp (yup, with a plate)
- '99 Honda XR280
- '02 BMW R1150GS Adventure

I've ridden:
- '95 620RXC
- many 650Ls
- DRZ400 (both the street model and a converted dirt model)
- CRF450
- KTM400EXC RFS
- DR350
- DR200
- XT350
- XR400

Right now the bike Gods are directing me towards the XR650R. This is after much consideration of the XR650L and XR600R. I wish the darned thing had an electric start.

The plan for this bike is kinda 50/50, but not really. I don't think the 50/50 thing is a narrow enough definition for a bike. I want something that will be OK on 20-30 mile paved road stretches, can handle longer ones OK (the blast back to town on pavement after dark), yet still do pack trails. Granted the bike will take some reconfiguration to do the extremes (a bud did 3600 miles in two weeks on his XR600R after prepping it for the pavement and dirt roads just fine) - gearing, tires, throttle lock, seat, etc. but the best I can tell the 600R or the 650R is the way to go.

The DRZ is a GREAT stock DS bike. With the gearing and tire changes and a seat makeover it would make a great all-around DS bike. Lots more power than the 650L, better suspension, less weight, more modern chassis. Having liquid cooling is something worthy of consideration. I did the 280 because I was doing a trip to Mexico and did not want radiators and the chance of a minor tipover leaving me stranded due to a cooling system failure. This IMO is a BIG vote for the 650L or 600R. There are tons of street legal 600Rs out there and this is a great do-it-all platform, particularly if you re-do the suspension and have it lowered about 2 inches. BTW that is what I will do with the 650R - have it lowered. Makes a HUGE difference in how the bike feels size-wise and top heavy-wise. Face it - you don't need 13 inches of travel on a bike like this. Learn how to use what you have correctly and make sure it is set up right. My 280 is a perfect example. Love the way that bike handles offroad. Look a the specs on it sometime - about 10.5 inches of travel F&R.

I'll tell ya what - given the list above, if you are not wanting to do really fast offroad riding, but brisk go-anywhere riding, a lowered late model DR350 with the motor opened up some is hard to beat. It has pretty darned good low end (like the 400 honda vs. the 250), are plentiful and cheap, air cooled, reliable, versatile bikes. The 350 has enough power to cruise 65-70 at altitude without being too buzzy when geared right yet with the right gearing will do pack trails. No, not like a KTM200, but it will do them.

Back the the R for me, I specifically am building it to go on rides with KLRs that we do out here in CO. I plan to have more fun and less heartstopping moments though than on the KLR at the expense of pavement comfort. We do these dirt road over the top of mountains, one after the other, with occasional stretchs of pavement in between, rides. The KLR does not slide, has weak suspension, ho-hum power, and being tall/top heavy makes it scary on ledges and steep downhills, even on jeep roads. The 650R will be like a trials bike in comparison.

Good luck with your decision and get SOMETHING to go riding on! Just keep in mind that the perfect DS bike is the next one you buy, not the one you own. My lists above prove that.

VintageMX

Feb 15, 2003
I noticed no one mentions the DR650 SE here...anyone ever own/ride the big Suzuki? It's kinda on my list.

It appears to weigh and have the same HP as the Honda. I live up in Calgary AB Canada and am shopping for a Duel to explore the back roads, duel track and single track of the Mountains to the west of Calgary. I will often be runninig with Jeeps and other 4X4s plus bikes...no 'extreme' ISDT riding or motocross (yea right).

I'm buying a BRAND new duel sport for my 40th Birthday present...

The situation: One of the dealers in town has 2 of the 2002 DR650SEs in stock on Sale for $5800 (CDN Bucks of course). The big Honda 650 Duel is about $7400. I really hate to pay full bucks for 1989 technology, you know just new graphics. Anyone on the Big 650 Suzuki vs the Honda XR650L?

I also have my eye on the DRZ400S ($7400, my Honda dealer buddy who now also sells Suzuki can do for $6700). At least your paying for some modern technology...if I lay out full bucks at least one gets some leading edge and possibly some better resale, not having 10+ years of the same bike out on the used market. Plus I could motocross it ;-)

Any buzz on if Honda is going to put the 650 R engine in a duel sport??? Making an off road bike street legal in Canada is kinda grey market. You have to go 'home built' and it is a stretch...it's really is not legal even if you fool them your insurance would most likely be 'void' if you ever got in an accident, I'm too old for that kinda BS.

I am a Honda man...would really like a duel sport XR650R, but feel Honda is kinda coasting cause duel sport is a small market. Lost my money (haah I'm sure they will go broke)

Hate to go Suzuki...but just might have to LOL.

92cr

May 18, 2002
I rode my buddy's 96dr650 which I believe is the same as 2003 except cosmetically.I rode my XR650L back to back with it and have to say for me the DR was a little more comfy on the road. It had much softer suspension,sat lower,ran smoother,revved higher and had more power on top yet had less low-end snap.He put on some Pirelli MT21's which made a huge difference off road.However since it was a new model at the time he couldn't find any lower gearing for it which would have really helped offroad as first gear was quite tall.I'm sure 1 tooth smaller on the countershaft would have helped it as much as it did my XR.I live in B.C. so we did quite a bit of tight single track which made his lower seat height nice for dabbing.For nearly $2000 difference I'd take the DR and modify it as you like and still end up paying less than the stock XR.It's a shame Honda dealer's usually want and get full price for their bikes.I say that even though I'm a honda fan.Another thing about both these bikes is they're killer wheelie bikes.

Good Luck!!!

VintageMX

Feb 15, 2003
Thanks for the input...

Ya and whats with the seat hight? I started riding open class Motocross bikes when I was young enough that someone had to hold it up so I could get goin'. Not the smartest...but it was not a huge issue on a closed circuit. When you were young and indestructible

These Duel sports are TALL. I did ride a friend's stock DRZ400S around some single track when I was campin...took some getting used to sitting that tall for an 'enduro' or woods bike. Makes no sense. I don't remember an IT or a PE being that tall back in the day.

I have sat on a XR650L in the dealership and thought the height plus the extra porkiness does not make a nimble bike. Maybe for blasting across Baja...but not in the woods. I am 5'11" and not short waisted, I mean a 6'4" plus person would feel comfortable going over slippery roots or logs on these bikes. Is that the average height these days?

I like how Suzuki has solved the height issue...for $300 bucks you can get a gel seat that brings the whole thing down a inch and deals with the non-comfort issue of the DRZ that every review of the bike points out.

Ahhhh marketing...I mean you couldn't make that seat the stock one, eh?

jacobpd

Dec 19, 2002
Alot of good stuff on the big bore dual sporters.........
The xr 650L seems to be the one to get in Illinois.....lots of parts........good dealers.............so........the Zuki 350 I had for a short time was a good one to , but I wanted at least a 600........so I sold it to a good friend for what I paid for it.........no big deal.......more stuff on the XR650L would be appreciated.........ideas...?

SER

Jan 15, 2000
Hi,

I had an XR650L for about 5 years and rode it about 50-50. I LOVED that bike. I rode all over the mountains near Knoxville TN where I lived most of the time I had it. I rode the US 129 "Dragon" with it all the time too, and my street bike buddies could not keep up. The XR650L kicks butt in any situation. If you want one bike for everything that will do it all well, then you want the XR650L. It climbs hills and mountains without even slowing down. You are only limited by the condition of your tires. I never had a problem even on the hardest and most technical rides. You just have to ride fearlessly and believe in your bike and the XR650L will literally do anything. I only had problems or saw others having problems when timidity entered the equations. That bike is the best bike I ever rode. Nice electric start too.

yours,
STEVE A-#1 rider in the world

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
SER,

Welcome to DRN!  Good to see you here.  If you sold the Dreamcycle, what are you riding now.  If you're bikeless, you need to get back in the game.  How long ago did you move to IL?  How are you liking their winter weather there?  It's not quite the same as Knoxville.

See ya around.  :thumb:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
SER...

Glad to see you round these here parts. Still have your Yoda head?

I read you said you HAD a XR650... what do you have now? Still at Fed Ex?

Drop me an e-mail sometime at truespode@yahoo.com

Ivan Liechty
Formerly bullwinkle from DRN
SCORE Member who likes to pick on your brother Ron :)

Top Bottom