ziggypop

Apr 24, 2001
Borrowed a buddys DRZ400 today and rode about 3 hard hours on it. I am riding a KDX200 right now so needless to say I noticed a difference.
The motor is cool just dont try to lug it like an xr, it stuttered a bit if the revs were to low when I hammered it. If you keep the revs up a little though that is one sweet motor, smooth power from mid range to a healthy top end. The first few minutes I wasn't that impressed until I realized I wasn't twisting the throttle all the way, I don't know if it's just me but it seems like I had to contort my right arm to get full throttle.
The front end is a little heavy feeling at first but it never presented a problem, Things I would wheelie over with my KDX I just drove right through on the DRZ if I was unable to get the front end up in time, a little un-nerving at first but fun when you get used to it. It turns pretty good most of the time but I must admit I did suffer a few washouts that suprised me, one of which resulted in me taking an 8" tree to the shoulder on a nasty uphill switchback. Which brings me to my next point THE BUTTON!!!! Normaly after a painfull shot like that I would have had to wrestle the pig down the hill and find a good spot to wear out my right leg. Not so this time, I never even got completley off the bike. I just used the tree for support and got it to a decent angle hit the button and zip zang zowie I was gone. Man that e-start is cool.
Downhills are interesting on the DRZ. I read in DIRT BIKE magazine that "A DRZ in motion tends to remain in motion", This was true for me at first also until I remebered I was on a four stroke. Just downshift a gear or two and point it down. Of course if you have to come to a complete stop you are out of luck on steeper downhills. I did however find it effective to brake slide and fall over to miss a large blowdown that would have peeled me off the bike, of course this tactic would also work on a Gold Wing so I would have to agree with DIRT BIKES assesment, you notice the weight on downhills.
The front brakes work well on all but the steep hills but the rear brake is very weak.
I also noticed hardly any more compression braking than on a two stroke and I was happy about that.
All in all it is a nice bike. It's not something I would buy but I love Knowing a friend with one I can borrow.

Top Bottom