DRZ400e and KDX220

Mikecoh

Mar 8, 2004
I'm 33, 6' 0" and 190 lbs. I've got a 1998 KDX 220 and think it's a great bike. It's just that I'm getting old and lazy and want an electric start bike. Plus I really like the sound of a four-stroke.
My dream bike would be a new CRF-250X but it's way too much $$$.
I've been reading conflicting opinions on the DRZ400E. I can afford to buy a used one and I like the 4-stroke engine and electric start, but am worried that the added weight will be too noticable.
Has anyone gone from a KDX to a DRZ400? How was the switch?

Separate question: Do the Scotts Steering Dampers really make woods riding much easier?

Thanks.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Personally, I would not go from the KDX to the DRZ. The weight outweighs the benefit of the extra cc's and smooth power. If you are comfortable with the KDX then you will be dissappointed with the weight of the DRZ. A WR250F or CRFX250 is a much better choice.

However, try to bum a ride on a DRZ first before even considering it. If you get the DRZ for a good price and do not have to give up the KDX in the mean time you can try out the DRZ and sell it if you don't like it.

The Scott's Damper or WER damper do not make riding the woods easier. They make riding the woods safer. By reducing the speed at which the bars get ripped from your hands when you hit a tree, a root, rock or drop in a hole you are able to recover from some things that would normally spit you to the ground.

The damper does not eliminate bad wrecks but helps reduce small mistakes from becoming big mistakes.

Ivan

hog

Nov 13, 2001
I am 40 years old, 6 ' and 210 lbs. I just went from a 98 dr350 to 04 kdx 220. The weight, handling and power of the 220 is way better. My riding buddy just switched from a xr400 to a kdx. We ride in tight woods and picking up the heavy bikes is more than I want to do. Keep the kdx or go to a light modern 250cc 4 stroke.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
I am 37, 5'8", 165 lbs, and very fit.... I ride a KDX200 and have a buddy with a DRZ400 that he is gracious enough to let me ride from time to time... (actually I think it's the other way around... lol)...

As an experienced rider I find the DRZ too heavy (i.e.- wheelies and tight slow turns), too unresponsive (no "snap" to the power), and too "smooth" for my liking (no power band).... But I have to admit that it is a decent bike for my buddy, who happens to be less experienced (the kickstart is only a problem when you stall in an inconvienient area), and taller than I am (it fits him better)...

The DRZ also has less suspension, which limits the experienced rider more than the less experienced...

If you ride mostly open easy trails, the DRZ goes further on a tank of gas too....

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
NGE pretty much summed up my responce. I used to think the DRZ would be a perfect NE woods bike...until I rode one. Way too heavy, not enough power (smooth is being gracious...more like flat) and foofoo suspension (at least in stock form).

Ok, I'm being a bit too harsh, but I think you would be disappointed in it's woods performance compared to your KDX. Suggest you look elsewhere if you want something close to your KDX.

Oh, 39yrs, 6'1", 190lbs (it's slowly dropping ;) )

As for the steering stabilizer, I recently tried one for the first time in 25yrs of riding. I must say, I really like it! It is barely noticable, if at all, but really seems to help the bike track straight through the nasty roots and rocks. I'm sure it's saved me a crash or two so far. I'm keeping it for sure :cool:

Mikecoh

Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I 've actually already made the switch. I haven't been able to take the DRZ for a ride yet but I'll post my opinions when I do.

dan1608

~SPONSOR~
Jul 31, 2003
I have both bikes. I like the KDX for tight woods riding because its easier to pick up when I crash. I like the DRZ for more open riding like two tracks and it has a plush ride. This winter I am going to dual sport the DRZ so I can ride more of the Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail (MCCCT) which has some road sections that require a plate.

drz400e

Oct 16, 2004
Mikecoh said:
Thanks for the replies. I 've actually already made the switch. I haven't been able to take the DRZ for a ride yet but I'll post my opinions when I do.

I have a DRZ400E I love the bike. I do mostly thight trail riding.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
NGE, Sounds like your buddy has a 400S, not an E or K, My slightly modded 400E rips, yes it is heavy, and prolly wouldnt recommend the bike for a rider who is less than 200 LBS, but then again my 13 year old son fly's on it,
I ride my brother in-laws YZ 250 often, although it is noticeably lighter, I feel better and ride faster on the DRZ
I am very glad I bought a four stroke, matter a fact as soon as I sell my Harley I'm gonna buy my son a WRF250, it's already starting to be a problem keeping him off mine,

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…