MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
2trakr, this one's for you. Others can chime in too of course.

What's the most-used bike for the CCC Dual Sport rides? Does anyone ride them with a KTM 950 Adventure? Is there any opinions on how this bike would do?

I'm seriously considering getting one of these to replace my road bike. I was at first sold on the BMW R1200GS, but it's geared too much for the road. I miss riding dirt roads and two-tracks up in Grayling, and have never felt really comfortable doing in on my legalized 2 stroke trail bike (let's face it, they're NOT very good road bikes, and for a reason!).

Or are the Dual Sport rides best served on converted 4 stroke dirt bikes, or the few legalized trail bikes (DRZ400, XR650L, etc).

Thanks for your input.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
MWEISSEN said:
What's the most-used bike for the CCC Dual Sport rides?
It used to be any XR, now it's any KTM rfs machine. DRZs are popular as well.

MWEISSEN said:
Does anyone ride them with a KTM 950 Adventure? Is there any opinions on how this bike would do?
Yes, it does good, but it's an awful big bike for much of the CCC Dual Sport rides. The "big" bikes are generally XR650Ls, although we do have an occasional GS and one hardcore gent from the Detroit area who rides his Dakar 650 to the event, strips off his pannier bags, jams the event, comes back, pulls a tent out of those bags (and pitches a tent too, not sure if it's during the ride or not). Camps on the ground, repeats riding next day and then drives the bike back home. Usually a couple hundred miles one way to get home for him.

We put CCC DS rides together with four stroke dirt bikes, the 525exc being a popular machine, and so some of the stuff we run through would be entertaining on a big bike. Deep sand, mud and the occasional single track are certainly passable on a bigger machine but it's up to you to decide if that's what you want to do. I usually point out bypasses to guys on GS and KLRs but only if they have deathwings on for tires. Full knobby tires on any bike usually shows they are serious and tend to get cranky if you even suggest an alternative path - "Oh I can do anything on this bike, you're just a girly man".

That 950 would be a great replacement for your street bike if you want to do an occasional DS ride.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Thanks for the helpful information Jeraemy (is that spelled correctly?)

Pat, that would be a great DS bike! :cool:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Due to my "no whoop condition" I am thinking of maybe D/Sing a Suzuki single cylinder 650 street bike or a maybe a Honda RebeI... Electric start, low slung two tracker built for two!!! ;)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
woodsy said:
Due to my "no whoop condition" I am thinking of maybe D/Sing a Suzuki single cylinder 650 street bike or a maybe a Honda RebeI... Electric start, low slung two tracker built for two!!! ;)

Better put some exhaust guards on those babies.

I rode the Suzuki once. It was a fun bike, but I wouldn't want one. DS'ing is out of the question!

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
What's the most-used bike for the CCC Dual Sport rides? Does anyone ride them with a KTM 950 Adventure? Is there any opinions on how this bike would do?

Gosh, I'd have to think that a 950 wouldn't fit in with what we do here in Michigan in the terms of dualsporting. Shucks two of the guys in our group started out with 650 Kawasaki/Suzuki's and quickly made the switch to 525's. However the Honda XR650L (aircooled electric start) does still have a following with some of the MI dualsporters.

pulls a tent out of those bags (and pitches a tent too, not sure if it's during the ride or not).

Ted F had a new 625 KTM for a short period of time. Said he had to sell it because he was "pitching a tent" everytime he rode it. Guess it vibrated something awlful. M.

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
I ride a dual sport Crf 250X, My friend lonnie rides a dual sports Crf 450, my dad switches between xr650ls and his drz. It is basically up to you. Marlin, did you ride the vintage ride? If so did you pass a Crf 250X xr 250, and a Crf 450?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Sorry I missed that one! Wasn't that up at Ranch Rudolf? (Blue berry fields) Vintage, Brevort and the Six days, were the only events that I didn’t make it too.

Top Bottom