DynoPort pipe, puts FMF to shame!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The quality of the pipe is 10x better than the FMF unit. Much thicker gauge steel on the pipe! welds are better, brackets are triangulated. Much better pipe all around!

I picked one up used from a KX for half price of a new one. It is much more compact than the KDX FMF pipe which will be better tucked into the frame to reduce damage. But just being a thicker pipe helps also.

I have not ridden yet with the pipe. Just started it up. It is very snug against the radiator hose off the water pump, so I will have to watch that. Hopefully get some good gains from the pipe. To be seen.

http://www.dynoport.com/index.html

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
If the whole point of the pipes expansion chamber is a major factor in 2 stroke engine performance this should be interesting :scream: I am a major believer in "Thinking outside of the box"fabricating and just trying something different.Maybe you could post again and tell me what year KX and KDX and how it performed on your 1st ride and dont throw away your stocker. Good luck!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I understand different shapes makes different power bands. The dyno port pipes are the handmade banded units vs like PC and FMF with the smooth transitions in the pipes.

I have a 91 kdx250. The pipe is from a 93 kx. Dyno port does make a few different pipes between the KDX and KX bikes for those years. So yes it will be interesting in the power differences.

More the point was the quality of the pipe was 10x better than the FMF.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Say, do you guys happen to have a picture of the dynoport? I can't seem to find one at their website other than the "washed out" picture on the front page. It sounds like it might be a very good purchase since they're nickel plating them now.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Matt,
Are you able to tell any visual difference in the Dynoport KX pipe vs. appropriate KDX pipe? I wonder if you will loose bottom end with a MX pipe design. I agree that FMF QC is weak although I have always had good performace results with their pipes.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The pipe is a lot smaller on the bike. Almost like someone put a 125 pipe on the bike are late model suzuki pipe on it. Keep in mind that this is the KX pipe and not their specific KDX pipe. So I would assume the power gains will be up top where I want them. See what the damage/victory on power is Tuesday hopefully.

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
Enjoy your Dynoport pipe. It is my understanding that dynoport doesn't provide motorcycle pipes anymore. Dynoport is base in central NY and the last time I inquired about a new pipe for my 86 I got the "we don't make pipes for bikes anymore, only snowmobiles" I could be wrong because I haven't searched the option any further after I bought my DG pipe and silencer.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
^ Clicking the original link will show different. They offer torque and rev pipes for both gens of h2o cooled KDX's. Will be curiuos to see peoples opinions of how they perform....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
FMF Fatty pipe. THe only one for the KDX250.

"the Fatty is known for its all-encompassing power gains from bottom to top"

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
That is the garage floor meeting the driveway. It is suppose be there. :-)

Anyhow after playing with the jetting a bit, I went back to the stock KDX250 needle from the leaner CCH I was running with the FMF. Put in the 3rd clip with a 40/160, 2 turns out on the air screw. #5 slide also.

Power, bike rips! Went from having traction to none in the first 3 gears. Seems that it is a bit harder to wheelie, but that may be from tire spin! Much more top end on the bike, mid has a wider power band and low end seems just a bit less than stock. Overall the pipe gained a good amount of power where I wanted it, mid-top. The 250 has a lot of torque already.

Top Bottom