Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
EBC oversized front rotor, $135 from rocky mountain mc.

I was looking to relieve arm pump in my brake/throttle arm and by a recomendation from this site, I went with the oversized rotor. The kit included the rotor and the caliper bracket.

Installation was simple and took about 30 minutes. Take the front tire off, take the old rotor off, new rotor on. Then just mount the new caliper bracket and your ready to go.

I broke in the rotor with some new pads in the power lines behind my house and after about 10 minutes, it felt like the pads were bedded in. Braking effort is GREATLY reduced. Using my hand-o-meter I would say that I needed about half as much effort for the same braking results. I was doing a couple runs of 5th gear WFO then slamming the brakes and it was easy to modulate braking. I locked up the front tire a couple times but not anymore then I did with the old rotor, just now with less effort. Stoppies, no problem.

So I put it to the real test at my race this weekend. Normally, my throttle/brake arm pumps up alot more then my clutch arm in a race. At the end of all of my motos, my braking arm was as realxed as my clutch arm which is a huge improvement for me. During the last laps of my motos, I was still able to charge deep into corners where before, I would be coasting alot more.

Now that I have an oversized rotor, I don't know how I did without one for so long. Definatly worth the money and has helped me greatly in reducing arm pump in that arm for me. :cool:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Cool info-i love a strong front brake-bes tone i ever rode was a std 03 kx125-so i took the caliper and fitted it to my rm, it imprived it but its not as good as the kx brake-maybe the rotor on the RM is smaller, the mater cylinder looks the same and has the same markings.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Good review Casper, I have been thinking of getting one for my ktm for a while now. My stock brake works good but you have to pull hard.I notice my right arm always gets tired first form pulling the brake I think. For $135 I think its sounds like a pretty good deal, compared to some of the others out there.I had one on my 99 rm and that bike had the best front brake of any bike I have been on.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
When I bought my "**** special" bike, it came with the oversize rotor. I think I would put one on any bike I own. I love mine. Lever pull is greatly reduced over stock, and the brake action is stronger and the feel is more progressive, at least in my experience.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Did you notice that on Rocky Mountain's website, the Titax and the EBC appear to be the same? I wonder if they are the same or if they just used the same one for both pictures.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I was looking at the Titax rotor but I read that they arent that good, some one said that the rotor was thicker then stock too. I had never heard of them and just went with the EBC rotor because you get what you pay for.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
It says the same thing under the EBC.

I was just curious if they were coming from the same factory in the Far East. Unfortunately, you can't always assume that you do get what you pay for when it comes to aftermarket parts.

After looking at the EBC and Titax websites, I think RM just used the EBC for both photos. Kind of unfair to EBC if it leads one to believe they are the same rotors for a $35 difference in price.

Last edited:

kawa929

Sep 24, 2005
what to do

well today i bent my rotor in practice and i called the dealer and they want $100 for new front rotor. I am a D class rider right now, wondering if you guys thought the over sized rotor would improve my lap times. Does it help that much.

THX

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Effort to apply the brakes is greatly reduced. I regularly use one finger to apply the brake, even on steep downhills. Brake "feel" or modulation seems alot better to me, also. For the extra $$$ I would step up to the oversize rotor.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
ebc kit

I put the ebc oversized kit on my 03 cr250 which has good brakes stock form, and i'm very satisfied with the unit. I would highly recomend it very smooth and strong .

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
I put the rockymountain titax on my bike. I've been running it for a few months; maybe 700 or 800 miles in the woods and enduros. What a great improvement. The disc is wearing perfectly and it's 1 finger stoppies are possible. Also added a SS braided brake line. That really helps with the fade on long downhills. The titax box looks like they make them in some Slovic Eastern Block country. No instructions, so the caliper spacer took me a while to figure out.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I have a Titax on my bike now. No complaints from me. It looks cheap in finish quality but it's working out well. My "kit" came with pads and pin too. It's much stronger then the GoldFren oversize wave I was running before. I'd buy another one, and in fact probably will for my other bike. The Titax is probably a "private labeled" EBC unit. The EBC/Titax is the largest diamter rotor on the market you can get. I like it.

Top Bottom