lukachuki

Apr 10, 2006
Hey Guys and Gals

First of all I want to thank everyone for all the discussion over the past few months. I just found this place yesterday and have read just about every EC300 post I could find in the archives and learned an absolute wealth of information about this bike, so thanks.

A little background. I currently own a xr650r BRP affectionately named Cupid. I have owned XR650R's since '00 and have never regretted my choice of bike as it can do all things semi-well. For the most part I have spent my time riding these bikes out west in N. AZ and such, as well as dual sporting it for the occasional jaunts on the road. The thing I enjoy about riding dirtbikes is the great ability a dirtbike has to get you places easily and quickly...out west we did many many trips just trying to get to the mountain we could see in the distance or maybe riding to a uranium mine we spotted on a topog in some wild country. Dirtbikes make the destination much much easier to get to and also make the journey exciting as well. Well I now live in SC and as such there is not much for a dirtbike rider to ride unless you want to race, this definitely is not Moab.

Last weekend my buddy and I in desperation for somewhere to ride made our way up the Hatfield - McCoy trail system in WV which, in case you don't know, is hundreds and hundreds of miles of riding trails of all types of variety from super fast greens to super technical orange trails. Well needless to say my Pig did not do well in the narrow tight technical stuff. After flopping a bunch of times and getting stuck on some too narrow trails and 1 hellish experience falling down the side of the mountain nearly getting crushed by my Piggy I decided its time to look for a bike that can negotiate this stuff a little easier. So after reading every forum around and considering a kdx 200 , ktm 200 - 300 I decided that the GG EC300 would fit the bill nicely in giving me tractable power, uniqueness, the ability to scream like only a 2stroke can, and a chance to leave Hatfield McCoy victorious. (by the way Hatfield McCoy was really awesome and it gave me the feeling almost of being in the mountains of CO or UT)

So, if you are still with me i do have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to.

I just discovered a GG dealer 30 miles north of me which is not a huge deal as I would feel comfortable doing business with Smackover. This dealer does however have a leftover '04 DE300 sitting on their showroom floor for 5200.00 which gets my juices flowing. I just don't know if it is a good dealer or not.

My questions relate to the '04 model as compared to the '06.

What has changed? I know about the CDI
Is it possible to put the '06 CDI onto the '04? If so how much of a hassel and cost is it? The ability to choose between tractable power and screaming is very desiralble to me.

Those of you who ride you EC300 as a dualsport how does it do? As mentioned I currently ride a XR650R and am real satisfied with it. Is that 6th gear a road gear meaning it is possible to cruise 55 60mph without stressing the engine too much?

I talked to a KTM guy who thinks the nickel plated frame is a liability any thought there? Why the nickel plating?

Understanding that my riding ability is moderate, and my desire is pretty much to be able to go just about everywhere without the hellacious crashes/drops does this bike make sense for me? I'm 6'2" and 180lbs.

Ok I better bring this to a screeching halt...thanks for your help

Tim Newcome
'00 Xr650R Cupid

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
There may be a few leftover '05s available - they would go for $5600 to $5800.

The '05s had quite a few improvements over the '04s. It has the dual mapped CDI (less the switch), revised engine cases that are lighter with a better sealing ignition cover, the frame was revised to improve handling and quite a few other details.

The frames are now (from '04?) powdercoated.

Sixth gear is not an overdrive as 85 is about the max with stock geaing. 55 to 60 is certainly doable, but the EC is much more at home in the woods.

BrianVT

Sep 24, 2004
I spent 4 years riding an XR500R in Utah. Some of the best times I've had.
After moving back East I replaced the old 500 with an XR650R and plated it. I hooked up with a group that rides enduros, scrambles, and turkey runs. I loved the XR even in the tightest/nastiest enduros and I'm only 160 lbs. After 2 years on the Pig my buddies finally convinced me that I needed a more appropriate bike. I sold the Pig and bought an '03 EC300.
The bike is fantastic. I can lug it or scream it. It turns like it's on rails. It starts easy even after dropping it. Maintenance is cake. Parts are no problem.
I do miss the versatility and the stealth (sound) of the XR for local fun riding though. I wish I could have afforded to keep it for when I'm not pushing as hard in the tight stuff. Road runs at 65 mph were no problem on the XR. The Gasser will do it but it's definately out of it's element.
Good luck in your decision. It was a tough one for me.
I'd own both if I had the $.

lukachuki

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks guys for the replies! I do have to say that I'm not sure that I want to sell my Piggy. The thing is bulletproof. It is remarkable to me how well such a big bike does in a variety of situations. Again i'm not talking about racing it in the tight stuff, I'm not that kind of rider, I just like to be able to make it everywhere and I suppose the easier the better. I have been ruined by the West where dirtbiking equals adventure and not just the white knuckled adreniline type either, I've got that drive to see big country. The pig was perfect adventure platform, and without a doubt was able to make large territory feel real small. It would be real tough to sell it thats for sure as I have aspirations of still going west, plus it is a fun ride around town right now. I think I'm going to use my tiny reserves of patience and try to save up so that I can purchase a GG down the road w/out selling piggy. I really wouldn't mind having 2 bikes esp. if I can convince people to visit me out here in the forsaken wilderness of SC, 2 of us could ride. Mr. GG could be the woods, gnarly stuff bike and the BRP could be the Dual Sport do all.

It is good to know that there are quite a few changes from '04 to '05. Is it possible to put a switch on the '05 dual mapped cdi to take advantage of its capabilities? I have to admit that the dual mapped cdi has me interested. It is also good to know that the last couple of years that the frame is powder coated. I guess it is possible to miss a bunch of details when reading hundreds of posts. It would be interesting to see a concise list of all the changes from model year to model year from '99 on.

How easy is it to remove the front sprocket and cover. I know that on my XR I freq. switch front sprockets depending on what type of riding I do. Just a one tooth dif. in the front sprocket makes a world of difference. I run from 13t to 15t although I really needed it geared down lower for Hatfield McCoy. I suppose theoretically if I was just buzzing around town I could jump a sprocke tooth or 2 to keep from over revving the leetle 300cc engine.

Anyone ride the ec in the high dessert of N. CA Utah or AZ/Nevada? And if so how does the 300 like the freedom of the wide open spaces?

Tim Newcome

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
GoFasters.com has a left-over 2004 DE 300 for $5K .. at least they did earlier this week.

I think the '05 and '06 are slightly lighter than the '04. I have an 2002 and it rocks. I can only imagine that the 2004 or newer will be even better. You won't be sorry ... unless you decide to sell it later. :)

BrianVT

Sep 24, 2004
I'd recommend dumping the front sprocket cover and adding a clutch/case guard. B.t.w., the GG hydraulic clutch is sweet.
I don't think switching the front sprocket is a viable option. A 12 tooth is possible but will put extra wear on your chain slider and I don't think a 14 tooth will fit.

lukachuki

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks for the info guys. I actually went to a dealer yesterday and rode the dealers personal bike. It sold me! The difference between riding the ec300 and my xr650r must be about the same as riding a circus elephant or a rodeo cutting horse. Really really fun.

I signed up over at the smackover forums as well.

Thanks
Tim
'00 Circus Elephant

Top Bottom