jps2194

Aug 7, 2006
Okay - I know that I was stupid and should have bought a DRZ or CRF450X, etc., but I didn't. I love everything about my RMZ 450, except starting it. I've got arthritis in my rt. knee (ACL tear riding my RM 125 back in '86) and by the end of the day riding in the woods, starting can be a challenge.

I've searched the posts and all I've found is debates about electric vs. kick start or suggestions to sell it and buy one with the e-start.

Does anyone have any experience on attempting adding e-start to a MX bike? How much weight would it add and what would the cost be?

Go ahead - give it to me for asking the question - I can take it... :ohmy:

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
The only conversion I've ever seen was for a XR 650 and it was BIG. I think you may want to consider a different bike that comes with an electric fun button. The WR or CRF is a good choice as great low cost deals can be found everywhere. If money isn't an issue, KTM and Husaberg's(2004 and newer), are great bikes.
Another option would be a Rekluse clutch for the RMZ450. It's much more difficult to stall the engine when your riding on tight trails when you have one of these which means, you would be kicking it over less times during the day which could help you out towards the end of the day.

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
There's a very remote possibility that you could use the parts off the LTZ450R and retrofit the e-start. It would likely involve massive machining, hair pulling, cussing, and a very serious thinning of your wallet. :bang: It would probably cost less to pay your riding buddies to be at standby during your rides- have them do it every time for a small "convenience" fee. ;)

Imo, it would be much easier to take the 07 WR450 and turn it into a MX machine than make the Suzuki button start. Of course, KTM has already built what exactly you've asked for with the their new 450SX. Lastly, you could wait a year or so for the RMZX450, but it'll likely be weighted down like the WR and CRFX are.

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
i also think the cost is the deterrant for a electric start. i also think the auto clutch would help with stalling,and to help with starting get a good kick stand to assist with leverage.
i have an 05 rmz that i use for off roading and starting can be a challenge.

Top Bottom