Roma

Oct 19, 2003
:) I finally bought a new 06 RMZ 450. I could not pass up the deal I got on an 06. $5170 out the door. I'm coming off a 2003 YZ250F. Here are the likes: The power is so friendly on this bike it's a blast to ride. Very smooth yet still quick revving. Very little engine breaking. I feel like I ride the bike it does not ride me. I rode an 05 CRF which I liked but I feel this bike is more flickable. Starting when hot is easy. The bike looks nice too. I got two holeshots this weekend. I've never holeshotted in my life. The bike turns on a dime but you better have your sag right and handlebar height right or it's too quick. I'm still fine tuning this but so far so good. The bad: Getting to the carb is a real bitc... The seat feels tall for me but I'm short. The shock is way too stiff. 5.7. Ouch- John Dowd went down to a 5.4. The forks feel pretty good stock but I had to soften the compression and rebound 5 clicks or so. The bars feel funny to me. I don't know why seeing that they are the Henry bend and that's what I had on my YZF. I think I will try reversing the bar clamps to see how that goes. Tried different bar positions but none work for me. Shifting to neutral- pain in the butt. You have to be real gentle. Very sensitive. I like the shifting other than that- wide open shifts are easy. Bike can get a little twitchy and even some headshake is present but it's a trade off for good turning. The tires suck. No biggie. I can't believe this bike came w/ renthal fat bars, o ring chain, excel rims stock. Very nice. So far I went up on the back sprocket one tooth, put a skid plate on, putting a 5.2 spring on this weekend. May try straighter bend bars and step seat for ergo improvement. Other than that I wouldn't change anything. Can't comment on reliability yet. Too new. I hope this helps anyone buying a new bike. If anyone has suggestions on making this bike even better please comment. Maybe things you've tried and really liked.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Good write up Roma:cool:. Get rid of fat bars,they feel too stiff and harsh compared to the pro-tapers,big difference.Also the race sag on the RMZ 450 my 05 likes 106-108mm.
To get to the pilot jet,take off the 17mm bolt and use a right angle screw driver .I made one small enough to slip right on the slot for the pilot. No need to take off anything,for the main just use a 6mm on it.You do not have to loosen the clamps or anything else when changing out the main and pilot.There is plenty of room between the bottom of the bowl and cases on these 4 strokes to jet easy.

Roma

Oct 19, 2003
feedback

Wow,

Thanks for the input. Have you ever tried the Flexx bars? I heard they are really nice. Jessica Patterson uses them and she says she never gets arm pump.

What jetting changes do I make at sea level. The bike does backfire a little on me but not too bad. It's also been hot and humid here. It would be nice to get a tad bit more pick up off idle. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Does it back fire or pop a little when you chop the throttle?
Jetting basically,move the pilot up and down to see what you get, Same with the needle and main. No sense in giving you my jetting I have a 05 and do not use pump fuel,so my jetting will be different than yours.

I have tried the flexx bars on my RMZ,THAT IS A TOUGH ONE,it wasn't any worse having them on. Going into a corner braking,they felt,how do I put this.The throttle side always felt like it flexed more, even though the dampeners were tightned the same. They did flex and you can adjust them with different dampeners,I used the red ones stock. Me personally, I do not feel they are worth the money. I had a tough time feeling them out if they actually did anything.Some riders love them,I on the other hand is up in the air.

I also want to mention to you,the cam chain needs to be adjusted,especially the first few hrs of break in.Remember to put the cams TDC on compression stroke before you adjust the chain.Do not rotate the flywheel when you have the adjuster loose. :cool:

Roma

Oct 19, 2003
Yes,

Especially when I chop the throttle it pops or backfires. Does that mean too lean. I did notice the bars felt stiff for the first time the other day. It was weird. I hadn't noticed until I starting reading about this but it's very noticible. I may try the protaper carmichael bend. I'm short so I think those bars might work well for me. Reversing the triple clamp helped greatly along with a 5.2 shock spring. Thanks again for all the great help on this web site. Next I am getting either an SDG step seat or Guts racing. My but is sliding all over the place.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Popping when chopping the throttle is usually caused by the pilot or fuel screw being too lean. I do not mind a little pop hear and there when chopping the throttle,it tells me I am very close with the pilot and fuel screw.If it is very very pronounced,you can come out on your fuel screw to make it a little softer or get rid of it.If it can not be dialed out with your fuel screw go up 1 or 2 sizes with the pilot.Like mentioned ,a little pop on chopping the throttle is nothing to worry about.

You should hear RC's RMZ at Broome Tioga when he chopped,which of course was not that often,but very detectable every time he left off. POP POP.:boss:

Last edited:

Roma

Oct 19, 2003
It is intermittant. Not bad at all. I did go 1/2 out and it helped. May go 1/2 more.

Anybody try the sdg seat? Does it help you? Is it worth the $$.

I see more and more riders using step seats. Thanks again.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
bigred455 said:
You should here RC's RMZ at Broome Tioga when he chopped,which of course was not that often,but very detectable every time he left off. POP POP.:boss:

I noticed that at Washougal too. At first I thought maybe it was from hitting the rev limiter at the end of a straightaway, but it was definitely popping on decelleration. It was loud enough I was worried they were having a mechanical. Think those guys at suzuki know how to jet at the razor's edge? :boss:

Top Bottom