The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
What a blast!!! Weather was perfect.

I'd signed up with the Intermediate Women...yipes. They lined us up with the 125 intermediates, which meant I was way up front with 4 others in my class, which was good, however, when the flag went down(!) holy cow. I was dropped by the end of the pavement and all alone by the start of the first ridge road - maybe a quarter mile in. Decided to call myself the "anti-cherrypicker". :-)

And then, I will forever remember the sound of the Novice 125's coming from behind, OMG. My first thought was GET OFF THE TRACK YOU FOOL!!! But I held my line just fine and the first group flew by and from then on it was just a regular Elsinore Experience. Got passed a bunch, started passing others by my 4th lap, passed a lot of crashed riders, got in 6 laps like last year (total of 22.8 miles), altho this year felt like my new bigger bike and Steering Stabilizer made it a lot calmer race for me, felt way more relaxed, no near death experiences, didn't fall once, only came close once and that one wasn't bad.

So then on Sunday, Randy and I line up with the 50+ Novices, 12 in all I think, lots of nice banter on the line... "Hi I'm Tom, red doesn't pass red, right?" "I'll be fighting you for the last position"...etc etc.... hah. I get a repeat of my Saturday's start - dropped by the end of the pavement, all alone on the ridgeline road. But at least this time, the "beginner" 40+ guys didn't catch me so fast or violently and the one other woman didn't catch me til the end of lap 5. I got 6 in again, Randy did 6 also but beat me by about 4 minutes. Which makes me think I was shooting a bit high thinking I might make 7 laps :-).... no way to know how close he was to 7, but I'd have at least 6 or 7 minutes to make up probably to do it. Feel like I could have done the corners way faster and cleaner, did those better on my BBR, but otherwise the Honda performed fantastically. I didn't fall either day, had a couple closer calls on Sunday - once trying to keep up with the other gal when she came by and I put together like 4 really bad corners.... good grief slow down and get it back under control! So much fun.

The results were garbled up, so don't know for sure where we finished, I was either 3rd or 4th of 4 in the Women's Intermediate, Kelley Yancy only lapped me once(!), Randy was about 5th of 12 in the 50+ and I was 10th.

We talked to the new organizer and she said they are going to try and hold the race again next year, assuming they can get the city to okay it. And she said they were going to rethink the groupings of classes - not put the women in with the 125's... think there were only about 14 "Legends" (Ol89er did come by and say hello, which was nice), would be good if we could go with them.

And they'll straighten out the results soon. Same photograpers were there, when photos come up we'll pass them on.

-SusanP.
CRF250x

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hey Susan.

It was great seeing you and Randy. Looked like you guys were havin' fun. :cool:

PM me your address and I'll send you the photos I took on the starting line. :yeehaw:

Ol'89r

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
I can't seem to make the links to the photos work live, so here's how to get to them on your own - then you can check out all the other photos as well which is pretty cool:

Go to www.mxphotos.com, then Elsinore 2004, then Public Events.
Under category, "Women and 125s I"m on pg 10, race number 17.
Under category 40+ 50+, Randy's on pages 7 and 22, race #70
Same category, I'm on pages 4 and 34, race number 71.
I have blue star antannae in both!

SusanP.
CRF250x

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
Great pix. Nice air. Sorry I didn't make it down there. Robert wasn't doing well after his surgery. And now it looks like my shoulder is out too. Congrats on your finishes. Maybe I'll see you in Sacramento for the riding school. Have a great Turkey day!!!!

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Hi, Susan! Great ride report and photos! You look really good on your bike! Sounds like you and Randy had a blast! Is the Moonrocks ride the next big biking event on your calendar, or are you heading out on another adventure soon?

Say hello to Randy! His words of encouragement last year still stick with me.

Kathy

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Susan:

Great report on the race and it appears the race hasn't lost any luster over the years. I have always enjoyed that part of On Any Sunday[/b] and have dreamed of riding there.

See you and Randy in Reno. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom