Emergency!!!

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
2001 cr 125, stock clutch basket and pressure plate...

I got my EBC Er clutch plates and went to install them. Before hand I stacked the new ones next to the old ones and noticed the new ones were actually shorter!! I say what the hell and installed them but now I can turn the inner hub by hand, absolutely NO pressure on the plates. EBC gives you an "extra" fiber and metal plate so I install them too (WTF is with an "extra" anyways?)

All good now BUT when the clutch lever is all the way pulled in that "extra" fiber plate can almost spin past the end of the clutch fingers :eek: But when released it sits flush with the end of the fingers. I'm very concerned about that plate coming out from the end of the basket.... What should I do???

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think they do sit very close to the edge but i havnt heard of them coming out yet.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
um, ok it is hard to diagnose without it infront of you but I’ll try. Sound as if the first time the inner hub & pressure plate were askew with each other & needed a wiggle to drop the grooves into place. (I have one bike that loves to do this & you need to pull the spring posts toward you to get it to mesh to the plate, then put the springs in).

Either way try assembling the hub & plate together with NO plates. It should sit together in the slots & you can measure the min distance it can close up to. Then measure your stack of plates with & without the extras. It should be obvious that if the ‘without extras’ is smaller than the ‘No plates’ distance then you need extra plates.

But if not then the lesser amount of plates must grab & suspect the askew problem.

Of course with a thinner stack there is less preload on the springs, so will be more prone to slip so try adding just the extra steel (it should sit against the pressure plate ok but check).

The advantage of running thinner but more plates is that you have just increased the total surface area say ~15% per plate pair.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Thanks...I installed all of the plates; went riding and it seems ok. I've got a lot of clutch freeplay so the pressure plate can't move too far, at least until the plates wear a bit. Thanks again :)

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
You got the "EP" kit. Same stack thickness (yes, you install the extra plates!), but more plates, each a little thinner than stock. I hope your basket and hub aren't notched. If they are, the new plate stack won't align with the notches and you'll have all kinds of problems.

As for your freeplay, it's normal to get a LOT more freeplay after installing new plates. Adjust it to approx 3-5 mm.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…