jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I have a watchdog 2000 enduro computer. I am borrowing it from a freind, the last time he used it he lost the magnet off the rotor. The instuctions say to drill halfway into the rotor with a 3/16 drill, and epoxy the mag on. My question is is this how you guys are doing it? He did not drill into the rotor and I dont want to but if this is the only way to keep it from falling off then so be it. I guess any info on magnet mouting tips would be greatly appreciated. I can get the rare earth magnets from work and I can easily grind them to size if need be. I emailed the company but havent got a reply so I figured I'd see what you guys have to say, Roselawn is 5 days and I hope to get this thing figured out by then. Then the only problem will be trying to recalibrate the tire size with snow chains on It :laugh: Thanks Jeff

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I drilled a hole half way through the rotor and dropped a small rare earth magnet in it. It held itself in place and worked great for a long time. I have also seen the bolts with the magnets in the head that looked pretty slick.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I also use the Watchdog. The magnet supplied with the 'dog is nickel plated and is slightly larger than the small rare earth magnets that you can pick up from Radio Shack. The recommendation is to drill a hole in a rotor spoke about half the depth of the magnet. If the magnet is in too deep, the magnetic field will be weakened. I'm using the cheapo Radio shack magnet in the 3/16" hole with no problems.

The first Watchdogs came with a pickup that degraded (badly) over time. I purchased a new version of the pickup ($35) with the coarse brass thread, and it works perfectly.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Hey thanks for replying. I done got it drilled and epoxied in place. I was pretty satisfied how it turned out. I was wondering if there is a way to test it to see if it is working properly. I thought there might be a quick way without entering in a roll chart which I dont have. I hope I can figure this thing out Sunday.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I'm not sure about the watchdog, since I don't have one or have any experience with one, but on other computers, ICO &amp; Moose, there's a test mode in the menu.&nbsp; When you put it on this, you spin the front wheel to see if the sensor is picking up a "hit" from the magnet each time it passes the pickup.

Look for this mode so you can test it before this weekend.

Good luck.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
If you have the stock rotor there should already be a hole drilled in it to mount the magnet. It's at the end of one of the six teardrop shaped slots in the rotor. There is a stock KTM part #503.14.069.050 magnet that fits in the hole.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
cycleboy I see the hole you are talking about and also noticed the already tapped hole thru the brake carrier. Very nice of KTM to do these little things. My pickup sensor has a different thread than the tapped hole but I modified the pickup to the M8 thread that is there. Thanks.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
If you want to make sure the pickup is working on the Watchdog, turn it on, arrow to tiresize, press the main button, press the main button to enter all "0"s and then roll the magnet past the pickup. If it's working, it will count, "1,2,3 ..." You don't have to re-enter your tiresize after this, it will still be there when you check it.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Cycleboy beat me to the punch!! I just bought the bigger magnet from KTM and popped it in the predrilled hole in the rotor. Way easier than drilling and trying to epoxy the magnet in place.

Top Bottom