smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Eric Gorr and other engine builders,

I was wondering how you handle a situation where a new piston ring exeeds the allowable end gap tolerance. I remember in the past that it was acceptable to use an oversize ring and file it to spec, yet I have also been told that rings are made with round stock and using an oversize ring (filed to spec) would cause problems. Bore is within limits.

Thanks in advance.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
If the rings for that bore size have excessive gap, then the bore is probably worn. Some of the specs listed in the factory service manuals may also be erroneous. Normally I look for .015-.025 inches up to 60mm bores and .020-.030 inches on bigger bores.

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Thank you for the answers! Yes, it is a Nicasil bore and it is brand new - only test-run at the factory. The bore measures correctly. I believe it is in the ring tolerance. I like your answer about the bogus information in the manuals... I am finding other inconsistancies here and there. My ring is well within your tolerances you stated.

Pete: no excuse needed! :) I do love building MX engines... first time I have done it in twenty years.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom