Polamer

Sep 27, 2005
I am rebuilding my daughters KX100 (first time). I had my cylinder done at Millennium Technoligies and is is supposed to meet original OEM specs. I used the new Wiseco piston to push a ring into the cylinder to measure my end gap. My gap is too small so I was wondering what the correct method is for increasing the gap. Can I just file it or is there a better way? I can barely get a .006in to go in the gap and the book calls for 0.0118 - 0.0197.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
personally i have never done this, but from what i have heard from many experienced mechanics is that you can just file it down. :nod: :cool:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
EVERY weisco piston I have used (YZ 250, KX 125, 15 CR 85's, and a KX 65) have had rings that measured like this. I filed the first few. On my personal bikes I ran the rings tight. I have had no issues either way.

What a huge help that was!

Nevertheless, I believe you'll be ok if you just install them. They wear so fast on the small bikes with single rings anyway.....

Polamer

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks. I just talked to a guy who recommended using emory cloth. I might try that because it will take less off than a file. BTW it has 2 rings.

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Rcannon said:
EVERY weisco piston I have used (YZ 250, KX 125, 15 CR 85's, and a KX 65) have had rings that measured like this. I filed the first few. On my personal bikes I ran the rings tight. I have had no issues either way.

What a huge help that was!

Nevertheless, I believe you'll be ok if you just install them. They wear so fast on the small bikes with single rings anyway.....

Maybe but the rings need end gap to expand under high temps in the combustion chamber. If those ends butt up to one another, you're in big trouble.
Use the emery cloth to get them right. I have also read to only go in one direction when filing. Never found out why though?

My .02

Bernie

Top Bottom