rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I want to get into motorcycle enduros....

About 35 years ago I participated in a series of enduros that were set up for 4 wheeled vehicles: jeeps, buggies, Baja Bugs, etc. Computers didn't exist back then.

Now I am looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get back into it on my bike. I know where to get the roll chart holder, I have found a great timer (aviation: big digits, shows minutes and seconds) but what I am stuck on is the odometer.

Obviously I can buy a $400 computer but my wife would flip if I spent that kind of money right now. I have seen references to using a bicycle odometer but I have not found any that provide a 1/100 digit and I just don't see how you can ride possibilities with only a 1/10th digit on an electronic odometer.

On a good old fashion mechanical odometer you can see the 1/10ths digit roll and estimate how far into the 1/10 you are. With a digitial, you would be in the dark until it changed. I also haven't found a bicycle odometer that allows you to bump the milage up or down.

So, can anyone recommend a simple enduro odometer, or perhaps clue me in on how you ride with a cheap bicycle odometer?

Rod

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
What you'll need is an odo that is resettable to tenths, since you need to adjust your mileage and reset it (not to zero) throughout the race.

So, you can use a mechanical odo, but you probably don't have a drive for that on your yz. I know ICO used to make a magnetic pickup odo, but this is what I'm seeing on their web site: http://www.icoracing.com/ds1.htm
You'd have to make sure that you can reset it to tenths.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Does anyone out there have a Trail Tech Endurance model that can tell me what the resolution of the trip odometer is?

From the pictures it would appear that it displays 1/100th of a mile but I have read conflicting reports that it might only display 1/10th of a mile.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Rod

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
My trail tech displays 2 digits after the decimal, and so that is to 1/100 of a mile. Hope this helps.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
WomanRider said:
My trail tech displays 2 digits after the decimal, and so that is to 1/100 of a mile. Hope this helps.

As I learn more I get more questions........

Can you describe the manual adjustment of the trip odometer? Again I am getting conflicting information. Someone told me it only adjusts up and to the nearest mile. I need to be able to adjust up or down to the tenth.

Rod

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I have adjusted mine to the nearest 1/10. I think it only adjust up and not down. I found this work well for the resets on enduros but it is not fast.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
As I learn more I get more questions........

Can you describe the manual adjustment of the trip odometer? Again I am getting conflicting information. Someone told me it only adjusts up and to the nearest mile. I need to be able to adjust up or down to the tenth.

Rod

It will adjust to the tenth. If you hold the button down it will rapidly advance to the mile if so desired. I hope this helps you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom