Enduro Engineering brush guards,How do they go on?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I just bought a pair of their brush guards. I cut off the end of the throttle tube and noticed that in the ends of the handlebar there is a plug with a 1/4" hole in it. What is the best method to attach here? The guards come with an expanding bolt, but it won't fit into the small hole in the plug. Do you guys tap the hole and put in a bolt? OR do you drill the hole out to just over 1/2" and use the expanders?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i just took the plugs right out on mine. use the hardware in the kit imo.i also have a shorty clutch lever,the stock one hit.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Aren't the plugs really long? for strength? They have 4 small tack welds on them that can easily be ground off but the kit comes with a piece of rubber hose that is too big to fit into the end of the handlebar. If it did fit, there would be no room for the expanding bolt!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
oops ,i was thinking of a different application.drill those plugs to size and fit the hardware provided, sorry bout that.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I've decided to drill and tap the plugs and get new flat head full thread bolts. Steel bolts going into steel should be better than steel bolt going into cheap aluminum expanders.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I left the plugs in place in order to reduce vibration as much as possible. Drill and tap the hole with an M8 x 1.25 and bolt the barkbusters right to the plugs. I forget the final size drill, but the tap package will indicate. You have to tap kind of deep to allow enough depth for the bolts that EE supplies.

I also think it gives you a stronger installation. Of course, when I finally bend the stock bars really good, it will all be for naught. :)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
One other thought - don't be surprised if you need to heat & bend one or both of the bars to get a good fit. The throttle side fit okay on mine, but I couldn't get a decent alignment on the clutch side without some re-bending.

Don't try it cold - they are made from some tough stuff.

CycleToad

Apr 23, 2001
On stock bars use a pipe cutter and slice in about 1" from each end. After you cut to the plug, stop and use a chisel to separate the plug and the 1" of attached tube from the remainder of the bar. You may need to use vice-grips and a hammer to pound out the plug. Remove the expander bolts and replace with the rubber hose. Put the extra nut on the end of the bolt, slide into the bar end, and tighten. The rubber hose basically expands in the stock steel bars. Hope this helps....

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
If I had to do it over again, I'd do what 23jayhawk suggests. Those plugs are vibration dampers and are best left in the bars. His method is also the easiest.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Heres what I ended up doing.
I drilled and tapped the plug. the stock plug location is flush w/ the end of the bars.
I had to bend the guard where it meets the bracket under the cross brace in order for them to align properly.

I did not use heat because they're made of aluminum and very little heat is needed to melt them! (re:23 Jayhawk's post)
I used a Hossfeld type bender(the balls).

Job done and super strong:^)

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Also I forgot to mention that I bought (2) 5/16-18 x 1 flathead stove bolts to mount guard to ends of bars using a 5/16-18 tap and a 17/64ths drill bit.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Do yourself a favor and get some aftermarket bars. One good crash and the oem bars will bend up like a pretzel.

diablo26

Apr 19, 2002
I have these gaurds on order and I was just wondering if it will be the same problem with Renthal fatbars? I still don't have the brush gaurds, but I would like to know if I need anything else to fit them?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Diablo26, just wait and see if they will work with the hardware supplied. If not, then go from there. I saw a pair on Renthal bars today and it looks like they fit no problem with the supplied hardware. The bars had the bolted on crossbrace.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I really needed to cut my bars down to fit the trails here. I hope I don't miss those vibration dampers!!

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I cut my bars and pulled the end plugs out, then filled the bar with window spray foam. It felt the same, of course the brush guards could have taken up some of the vibration also. I did recently bend the stock bars is a h/s. I put on the Rethenal rider bars, much better! Even without adding foam to them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…