CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Train Robbers Enduro
Bismarck, Arkansas
June 9, 2002

I started the weekend with my usual pre-race excitement. Even a seven hour drive from Jasper, Alabama to Bismarck, Arkansas couldn’t dull my mood. Even the weather was beautiful. Little did I know my good mood and great weekend were to be short lived.

We arrived in camp Saturday evening and unloaded my bike (once again I would be riding alone). We talked a while with some friends and then left about 8:30 to get dinner and find a hotel. I even managed to get about 5 hours sleep Saturday night. For me, any sleep the night before a race is very rare and I was thankful for the rest after a stress filled week at work.

We made it to camp Sunday morning just in time for the riders meeting. The club told us about the different color arrows for each loop and warned us about a few bridges. For the first time, there would be an up hill bridge. This didn’t thrill me because I tend to crash frequently on bridges. With the meeting over, I proceeded to sign up. The people I usually ride with weren’t at this race, so I had to find a row with someone who could keep time for me. I ended up on row 59 with there being a total of 63 I think.

At the start, I met the other guys on my row. As it turned out, I had ridden on the same row with one of them at this same race last year. He agreed to help me at the resets (when to leave) since I didn’t have a computer. We rolled to the line and they counted down for us to leave. I left the line last and never saw them again. The first four miles or so were awful. I don’t know how many times I crashed but it wasn’t a pretty sight. It seemed like I couldn’t do anything right. The trail was very, very rocky and I struggled to just get through it. At one point, my bike started making a funny noise. I pulled off the trail to try to find out what it was but couldn’t spot anything wrong. I went a little further and the noise stopped. All I could think was “if it’s going to break, it better do it now and not wait until the end and then die on me”.

There was only one reset on the first loop and naturally, I was so late I just kept going. At times, the trail would be really great and I would begin to feel a little better. It wouldn’t last though and it would be back in the rocks again. I came to the up hill bridge and held my breath as I went up. I didn’t crash but the back tire started sliding to the side as I went up (I really hate bridges). It wasn’t much further and then it was back to camp for the gas. I was supposed to have about 20 minutes at the gas but as it turned out, I had already used up that time and was late to the check in for the second loop.

The second loop was more of the same but with a few more resets scattered through out. This loop was the A-B section from the race the year before and at times was still fairly tight. I was still having trouble in the rocks and seemed to be fighting the bike all the time. Again, I was late at all the resets and other than gas, I hadn’t stopped once since the start of the race. By mid way through, I was really feeling tired and disgusted. I went around a turn and before I knew what happened, I was lying flat on my face. I guess the front tire slid out or something. Anyway, I got the bike back up but couldn’t get it started. At this point, I took my helmet off and took a few minutes to catch my breath. After some water and numerous kicks, the bike finally started and I was off again. With about nine miles to the finish, I got stuck on a rocky hill. Every time I tried to go up, my wheel would glance off a rock and throw me to the side. Again, I had trouble getting the bike started after it would stall. When I finally made it up the hill, I had to take another rest. I gulped water and kept asking myself why was I doing this to myself. I drank so much water that I started feeling sick. I waited for the nausea to clear and then I cranked the bike and told myself I was going to finish. It was only about 8 more miles. Surely I could make it.

Luckily, that was the worst of the second loop. I checked out of the last section with a 41 I think but was glad to be through. All that was left was three miles of logging trails back to the camp. I actually made it into fourth and fifth gear, something that hadn’t happened all day. Back at the camp, I turned in my score-card and found out I was the only one in the women’s class that finished both loops. I may have won but it definitely wasn’t because I rode well. It was one of the worst days I’ve had in a while. The only reason I finished was because I was just determined to do it. I can’t remember how many times I picked up the bike but it was a lot. Oh well, they can’t all be good days.

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Congratulations, Neely!

I know exactly what you mean about the kind of day you had. There have been many a day that I have wanted to leave my KDX somewhere in the woods and walk back to the truck. But, you have to have the bad rides to make the good rides SO GOOD! It is part of any sport, I guess. Good job at persevering and finishing like you sought out to do! I bet there were others that can't even say that much for themselves! You should be very proud of yourself!

Karna

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Neely - once again another great ride report! I really like to read about all the details in yours because it really does help me prep for future rides. Can you describe the bridge some more? Was it like a wood plank bridge over water?

Great job on the win!! You EARNED it!!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I flew up to Bismarck and had to stay there that weekend. I was there on bussiness (stayed in Hot Springs). I acualy worked that weekend in Bismarck. I stopped by camp Friday and there were not that many there. A few guys in my riding club did it last year and they both said it would be one of their drops this year (both A riders). I think the area would be great to ride in, but not sure about racing. I spent quite a bit of time in that area last year. Nobody from my club came this year so my bike did not have a ride. Sorry you had a ruff time, but persistance pays off.

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Good job on finishing. Last time I had a race like that I didn't. You're a better rider than you think you are!

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Thanks for all the support everyone. It was just a bad weekend all the way around. John and I have parted ways after four years. It's been a tough few weeks but I'm feeling a little better each day. :ugg:

Natalie,

The bridges usually are wood with a little gap between each plank. Sometimes they are pretty wide and other times narrow. It just depends on the club building them. Rarely are they over deep water but most often a low place in the trail. That way if there is alot of rain, the trail wont be unpassable. I have been over a 8 foot drop to a creek below. That was without a doubt my "best" bridge crash ever. Both me and the bike went off the side. My best advice is when you see a bridge, get lined up for the middle and just try to maintain a steady pace across. Don't make any sudden changes, speed or direction, and before you know it, you'll be on the other side.

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
Congratulations on finishing. I know I couldn't do an enduro, I am a track rider. It amazes me when I read everyones ride reports. I did some trail riding last summer (lost my partner) & got stuck in some gnarly stuff, basically thought I was going to DIE there. Great report and congratulations on your win!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Neely, I don't know why you put a frowning face on your post. That was a great ride, and a great ride report! You should be very proud of finishing a tough event, regardless of how many times you might have fallen. Each new obstacle you overcome just makes you a better rider (and a stronger person!)

Hang in there. :)

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
I've noticed some of the girls here in CA aren't looking far enough ahead. They are very aware of the bridge or steep dropoff on the side of the trail. I wondered why I didn't notice these things so much, it sure isn't my underwhelming experience on a dirtbike. It's that I look ahead to where I want to go. Something I've worked on in roadracing. (and still working on).

If you stare at the bridge, then pretty soon your on the bridge and stuck because you've arrived, and don't have a plan. Look at the otherside, where you get off the bridge. If you look down, ya end up there! Your peripheral vision will take care of you while on the bridge/trail etc.

Easier said than done.

Top Bottom