ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Never having played with this kind of stuff, could the average person figure it out? Atleast competent enough to be able to utilize it to see differences in cam specs and header dimensions, etc.? What would the system requirements be to run it? Is there a particular product that anyone can reccomend?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mark - Most of the "simple" four-stroke software is fun to play with but essentially useless for doing any serious work. Single cylinder four-strokes present a special problem in that they are more difficult to do an accurate simulation on, so applications like the Motion Software apps while good for simple V8 work aren't really useful for us. . Your personal experience is probably more accurate at predicting results than most of the toy software.

Dynomation is probably the 'simplest' piece of software that I have worked with that will give you useful information. Like most good tools it takes some effort to learn to use it, but it is time well spent. www.dynomation.com

The companion software for Professor Blair's four-stroke design book is also quite good and VERY ACCURATE. :)

The Controlled Induction software written by cam designer Rick Jones was very easy to use and proved to be outstanding at determining proper cam specs. Rick got tired of the BS associated with the software business and got out a few years back. I lost touch with him a while back but if you'd like I'll see if I can track him down and see if he is still willing to sell his application. This is probably just what you are looking for.

If you have any college friends who are involved in Formula SAE their school can buy a super cheap licensce for Virtual Four-Stroke which is probabaly the single best simulation tool available to the public. But it's far from simple :)

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Thank you!

Unlike most on this board, my IT knowledge, and system, is barely enough to navigate DRN. I just find myself living in the shop, and spending my $$ on tools.

I actually just ordered Proffesor Blair's Book.

If you felt Mr. Jones product was "home owner" priced, or would consult for wages, that would be great.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I think Rick charged about $2OO for Controlled Induction and it will run on any PC . I'll see what I can come up with for you and re-post here.

IN the meantime if you want send me your engine data in e-mail ( rich @ dirtrider.net ) and run some passes through my software. If you want I can send you a form you can use to fill in the required engine data.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
That would be great. I know that you ran some numbers on the previous engine buildup, but don't believe thier still archived. I made some changes, based "loosely" on your interpretation of my original dilemia's (Heat & inability to control jetting). I wen't from a 78mm 12:1 ceramic coated piston, in a iron liner, to a 80mm (no coatings) 10:1 in a coated aluminum sleeve. The oversize valves and port work were already done, from the previous buildup, but Mike (Kibblewhite) touched everything up, reworked the chamber and replaced everything in the head (it was a work of art). I also had Falicon install a Carrillo rod (oem length), and balance things with the new 80mm piston. My target, was to get away from having to spin this thing up, to make power, and hopefully avoid my previous issues. I was hoping the larger piston, may help bring other issues inline. Most notably the 36mm Mik pumper, as it is the only pumper carb, that deals with my chassis clearances, and has the cables and linkage on the right side. There's also the o/s valves and porting, there was no going back on. On the previous buildup, I was never able to clean up the low rpm throttle response. I just hate the thought of throwing "any old cam" into this thing, considering everything else I have done.

Please do forward the form, and Thank You!, for your time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom