CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by steve125
I had been running a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water when it gets cold or in the summer just water and Water Weter. In either case i was getting a bit of cooant loss out of the overflow.

I too was having overflow problems in my 426 in extreme conditions. I was running 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water. I then switched to straight distilled water with Water Wetter. Still had overflow problems. I then went to 75% distilled water, 25% ethylene glycol and Water Wetter(per old#48's instructions) and have not boiled over once since. Give it a shot Steve. :)

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
S
It is the overall purity of the blend that aids in its cooling abilities. If you’ve ever taken a pure water and poured it over a smooth surface,
Since we know that a cooling system is full of ions(al oxides,etc) and we also not that adding DI water to this sort of environment will result in ionization of the DI water. What is the value other than marketing to have it in a collant mixture. You surfaectant anology is fine and dandy, but it makes the assumtion that the DI water stays deionized when it is in the cooling sytem. Something I see as impossible. BTW If I wanted to find out what is in engine ice I would jest send a sample to a lab for analysis or if you have it patented read the patent. :D

Last edited:

EngIceDave

Nov 2, 2001
We fully realize that reverse engineering is possible and once the patent is completed, the information is out there.

By utilizing the Di water, which as stated above is neutralized and rendered "inactive," but still more pure than distilled, it no longer picks up ions from within the cooling system. What you do have in the end, is what is essentially the cleanest and purest possible coolant and antifreeze product possible because all of the impurities, chemicals and salts within even the finest distilled waters has been eliminated.

I think we can all agree that the cleaner you can maintain a cooling system, the more efficient the system can work. Our product helps the user to maintain their cooling system as clean as possible.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ah, but are the impurities that exist in common distilled water enough to adversly effect the cooling system? And if it did, do you speculate by how much?

Ben, have you any idea what a reverse engineer job would cost?
And I doubt we will ever see full disclosure on the product.

EngIceDave

Nov 2, 2001
Even though the water isn't technically Di water once the inhibitors are added, it is still an "Ultra Pure" water. Almost as with Di water, ultra pure (or really really pure...LOL) water still beads and/or flows more smoothly over a metal (or plastic) surface than distilled water.

It's basically impossible to keep Di water PURE Di water once introduced to a metallic system as bwalker has pointed out...however, with inhibitors, the fluid is still an ultra pure fluid.

As for distilled water and any adverse effects, you'll notice that it is capable of leaving mineral and salt residues behind that can hinder the effectiveness of the cooling system. I cannot speculate as to exactly what negative effect one may have with distilled water...Only that folks have been using distilled for years, we've all seen deposits in our cooling systems and that cleaner is always better in regards to a cooling system.

If what you may be asking is, are there any thermodynamic tests of Di (only...no inhibitors) vs. distilled (only)...not that I have even seen or found. Again, as bwalker pointed out, once Di water hits a cooling system, it isn't Di anymore. So technically, you can't put Di water alone into a cooling system to evaluate it.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
we use di water at work because of it's increased resistance. I'm sure it picks up ions, but water is lost from the system and replentished on a daily basis, so the resistivity of the water is maintained higher than if we were to use hard water or distilled water. The water is used for cooling electrical components such as capacitors, scrs, transformers, etc.

EngIceDave

Nov 2, 2001
I have been told by my chemist as well as others that Di Water (AKA ultra pure) water is better at drawing away heat.

BUt I know how some of you folks are on here, so I have been struggling to find some documentation about it on the web. All I have found that is similar to what you mentioned motometal, which is it's use on the space shuttle and space station to cool electronics...but nothing saying why or what it's thermal capabilities are....but I am still looking....I haven't mentioned it before because I figured someone would want to see proof of such a "wild claim."

I'll keep looking

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
:) You may get it done like that, Ben.
But if not, you could buy new radiators all day long for what it would cost you to find out whats in Daves juice. I understand that it can be quite a lengthy process.

Dave, I bet you don't see a group like this anywhere else, do ya? :)

Top Bottom