KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
I have a 89 Kdx 200 and I get some fuel mix out of the flywheel cover from time to time...Is there a seal behind the flywheel that can be replaced without dissassembling the whole motor.Thanks

KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
That does not sound good,guess I will just run it that way,its not alot of leakage but it would be nice to fix it.......Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If that seal is bad enough to push fuel past it, it's certainly bad enough to suck air back thru it..

That's really not going to be very good for the longevity of that engine.

Splitting the cases is a fairly easy process on a two stroke. And doing the repair
could very well save you from having to replace the bottom end of the engine before it's time.

KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
What do you mean by bye bye engine?Whats going to happen? I got to thinking I did something right before I noticed this leak the first time today,have not rode it since I did this..I put some fuel mix in the case to rinse it out before changing the new oil,I bet what happed was some of that splashed over into there when I shook it around...I do not know if putting gas in the case was a good idea to flush it but I did it.......Will see next time I ride it if it leaks yet...Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
if the seal is leaking, and sucking air, it will cause a serious lean condition, which will detonate the engine.

Or in other words, if you like your engine, fix it.

KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
Just went out and pulled the cover and there was some gas in the cover..Ran the engine without the cover and not a drop leaked,dry as a bone on the flywheel.Put the cover back on and took it for a ride about four blocks and pulled the cover back off and still dry....I was wandering if it was not because I flushed the engine with gas that is so thin and thats how it got there because it never did this before I did so.maybe disaster diverted..Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Being damp inside the ignition cover is one of the signs of a bad left seal. Typically, it sucks air in causing the lean condition. Quit looking in the cover and look at the plug! I seen a guy rinse out a trans once. Gasoline has an inherited trait of making the metal shavings stick to the inside. It is also not good for the clutch plates. If your plug is silver, metallic looking, then part of your piston is already gone, you can look in the exhaust port, that is where the piston will blow off. And, flushing the trans would have an effect on the right seal, impossible on the left.

KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks I will pull the plug tommorrow and let you know what it looks like..I may have more stupid questions after that..Is the left side seal a common problem in the 89 KDX?The bike runs great and has great power too,I just cannot imagine I have a serious problem with it if it runs so perfect and starts on the first kick.Sorry for all the questions but am new to Kawasaki 2 stokes and all 2 strokes for that matter...Thanks for all the help so far though.......

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What little I know about that exact model, it runs so rich, that seal is leaning it out to normal! Joking of course!! The preferred method of checking that seal is a leak down test. You could rebuild that whole motor for 300 dollars in parts, around. Most all kdx's run damn near for ever.

KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
Heres a couple pics of the plug,anyone see anything peculiar there? That one about the seal correcting the rich mixture almost had me,LOL.........Thanks again and let me know what you think and how do you do a leak down test.....also included a pic of the bike if anyone cares to see it.Nothing great but I just bought it to ride with my two boys to keep an eye on them and spend some time together,they ride Yamahas....Thanks

Attachments

• plug 1 (Small).JPG
    plug 1 (Small).JPG
    32 KB · Views: 112
  • plug 2 (Small).JPG
    plug 2 (Small).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 101

KDX1964

Jun 22, 2008
I do not think timing is off but I am no expert,it runs perfect,idles perfect,and starts on the first kick,and has plenty of power.........I do not know how long that plug was in there though as I have never changed it since getting it so maybe its 10 years old as far as I know.Thanks for the links.......

kid1293

Feb 12, 2007
love it i have a 90 with the small leak in the crank seal and i too have not changed my plug in 4 years/no need runs to good to change it.check your vent tube from behind kickstarter to airbox mine seems to push oil into the air filter.let me know just wondering if yours does it to. thanks dan

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The only time I have personally seen a plug even close to that was my lawnmower, the plug gets changed yearly, whether it needs it or not. Racebike gets a new plug, same answer, before every race. I suppose I am guilty of abusing iridium? A fresh plug can give you all sorts of good imformation about how your engine runs. Or plan b, run it till it will go no more.

Top Bottom