Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
i have a 1990 yamaha yz 125, im not sure if this is the place to ask, but it involes a 2-stroke. are there any engine mods i could do to help low-end power. the bike does great in top-end, but low-end is not that great. thanks
-Tony

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
FMF Fatty and silencer, gear down (add teeth to the rear sprocket or subtract one from the front). That should help.
If its not enough porting for torque will make a lot of difference.
Keep that in mind that 125s aren't low end engines however.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
thanks for the help, is a 4-stroke good in low-end and top-end? or are they the same? thanks

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Sand_man said:
thanks for the help, is a 4-stroke good in low-end and top-end? or are they the same? thanks

A 4-stroke will usually have a much broader powerband than a 2-stroke.

Steve

emoguitar131

Aug 20, 2005
Try playing around with your timing a little bit... I have a 93 KX 250 that when I bought it, was very quick but would fall flat at about 6000 RPM's. When I looked at the timing, I saw that it was fully retarded. Upon advancing, the bike absolutely rips now. :cool:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i dropped a gear on my yz from 13t to a 12t front and it helped a great bit down here got to shift more but on the trails its great (back is a 50t) also have fatty with stock silencer but it came on bike so cant tell if it had made difference

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
I'm just a beginner (started with a CRF230) and my husband wanted to get me a 2-stroke as well so he picked up an RM85L for me, did the porting to give it more bottom end (like a girl wants to hear she needs more bottom end...haha) and now he wants to adjust the sprocket....sure hope that will help me on the trails because this little bike is a go-getter and so much more fun than the 230. Are there other modifications other than what was mentioned and adding a fatty and silencer? I like the way the bike is as it sits other than trying to get out of a creek with a direct climb in front of me has been a challenge :-)

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
ok, i got a fatty on mine 2, but it is dented, will that cause anything?

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
i dont know where the port is, but its very close to the front of the bike. how much will this mess with the bike? its a yz 125

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
ok, so if its a big dent it will most likley not preform well? so will i notice a big diffrence if i put a new one on?

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
There is no detriment to performance with a small dent, even a larger one wont hurt much, according to test reports I've seen. However a crushed area will effect the wave reflection and cause a loss of perf.
Small dent? You're good.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I've heard of a place that gets your pipe brand new for 50 bucks.

monkeyonahill

Aug 12, 2006
i've got an '01 cr 125r and i put a 53 T rear sprocket, FMF gold series fatty, a Powercore 2 silencer, V-Force 3 reedcage /reeds, and rejetted the carb and it's got great low end! :cool:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i run 12 tooth front and 50 rear ,have the fmf fatty,stock silencer
just need to re jet the carb but right now i got decent bottom
end on mine
i was amazed at the difference in the sprockets made
try that first see how you like it
as far as the dent goes if its not a bad one then i wouldnt waste money trying to get it out or by buying a new pipe
you can use the money on better things for now

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
what do you mean about the sproket thing? buy a smaller size one?

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
will do, right now it has 53 teeth on it, what should i move down to? what do you mean when ppl say front-, back- i kno the back sproket, but therez on in the front?

monkeyonahill

Aug 12, 2006
Yup, haha, just follow the chain from the back sprocket and it loops around the front sprocket, very small compared to the rear. They can be a pain to get off though, i still can't get mine :whoa: But ya, 1 tooth on the front sprocket is equal to 3 or 3.5 on the rear, so -teeth on the rear for a litte bit better lower end, or get a front sprocket a size or two smaller for quite a bit better lower end (they're cheaper than rears too!). Ya, just need to experiment with the gearing, just like you have to with jetting which is a pain.. Goodluck! i hope all goes well for you! :cool:

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
thanks for the good info!, now where could i get one that is smaller for the front or rear? i have a 1990 yamaha yz125, do i buy a stock sprocket off a yz100 or something? thanks!

Top Bottom