jtorres

Apr 6, 2002
Are there any aftermarket improvements to the cooling system. I've had experienced twice coolant release during woods type riding including
very steep trails. I'm using 50/50 ratio mix, also bleed the system.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Are you simply losing coolant, or is it bubbling over and out? KDX's are notorious for losing coolant even under normal conditions.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
I've heard the factory pipe contributes to the over-heating. Also, "water wetter" is supposed to help, along with a KX250 radiator cap, which I beleive is a 1.5, as opposed to the stock cap that I think is a 1.1

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Is it comming from your overflow or your radiator? My 220 looses all the coolant out of the overflow every time I ride. Although, the radiator is always fuel. Right now I'm only doing races, so I fill it up every ride. Once hunting season is over and I can go back to my riding area, I will try leaving the over flow empty. Than I will be able to stop and check the fluid level from time to time.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The factory pipe doesn't contribute to the overheating [the 200s don't overheat] --after installing an FMF it overheats even worse. My KX has a 1.1 radiator cap as does the KDX. Installing a higher rated cap really doesn't do much except postpone boiling for a few minutes. Honda affers a 1.8 cap [$$$$] but again it only delays the inevitable. Jeting insanely rich -especially the pilot - will help but this causes other unpleasantries. Dick Guy in Colorado [email protected] has found a simple cure. Anhydrous [meaning absolutely no water] Propylene glycol/ethylene glycol mixture. This mix boils at 372F. The system now runs cooler because there's no steam barrier hot spots forming. I'm running a 0.9 cap with absolutely no boiling and we ride Utah desert gnarlies exclusively. We use the light cap because the mixture expands when heated and you want it to free flow back & forth to the overflow bottle as the temp changes. My overflow bottle has been moved up behind the headlight shell to improve airflow through the radiator.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm
This is a company I found that make coolant that is not water based, Like mentioned above, It should have distributors listed.. etc

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
An aftermarket pipe WILL HELP the problem, but not entirely eliminate it. The stock pipe is double wall, and holds heat, which adds to the problem, where the aftermarket pipes dissapate heat MUCH better, HELPING to alleviate the problem. I have several friends that ride 220's here in Idaho, and they have been working through that problem. I didn't get mine until it was cooler, and I put a P.C. pipe on it, so I haven't experienced it yet. Probably will to some degree this summer, though.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
XRforever --what you gonna do with it --pour it over that XR's cooling fins ??

Seriously, though click on the Evanscooling link in Zerotacts post and get their [+] formula. You can order online. A gallon is around $35 and will fill 3 bikes with a little left over. You MUST get every last drop of water out of your cooling system for it to work. Water is the enemy. I flushed mine twice with hot water, drained it and then disconnected a rad hose and pulled air through the system with the shop vac for probably 45min. Evans "suggests" filling with $10 worth of their glycol, then discarding it and refilling. Take your choice ! They suggest a 0 or very low pressure cap but best I could find is a .9 which works just fine. It absolutely positively will not boil. What a relief. And this was 7 days riding around Moab,Ut in some really HOT weather.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom