Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
I've been having a really bad problem with my bike overheating now that summer has rolled around. Its overheated at least once during my last 4 rides and overheated twice on a ride today.

It makes a boiling sound and the overflow bottle fills up. I wait for it to cool down and it sucks it back out and then it runs fine again.

The bike seems to overheat in high load conditions. Going up a long, slow, rocky hill is where it overheated the worst today. In fact the only time it seems to overheat is going up long hills. Not really steep ones just the kind that slowly wind up a mountain side.

I'm going to try draining the coolant system and refilling it. What mix should I use? I've heard 25% antifreeze, 75% distilled water with a few caps of water wetter. Hows that sound?

One thing I thought about was the bike running a bit lean but it still seems to spooge a bit so I dont think that could be it. However that spooge could be months old... I dont clean my bike that ofen. Would dropping the clip 1 position help?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
With jetting remember that you can be lean on one throttle position & rich on another. The clip only affects mid throttle positions.

OK first off, take the radiators off & back flush them (run the hose through them the opposite way from normal to try & loosen any internal debris. Then run the hose through the cooling fins to make sure they are clear.

Have a good look at your rads & any guards you are running over them. Aftermarket guards can be a big restriction.

Water wetter is a good idea as is non glycol coolant like Penrite.

OK now the other possibility is the head gasket is borderline leaking. Maybe it’s time for a new gasket & a check to see if the head is straight. Check the rear head mount isn’t so tight it is distorting the head by pulling on it, if you see what I mean.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Well I redid the top end over the winter and it doenst have a ton of hours on it. It shouldnt need replacing yet.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Get some water wetter, helps a lot! And Rocky mountain has little in line coolers that get inserted between the rad. lines. Basically an extended coupling with fins on it, but I've heard they work by lowering the temp 5-10 degrees.
A higher pressure cap would stop you from "boiling over" in most situations but you are not really running any cooler at all.

Click Here for the inline coolers, 24.99. :thumb:

Top Bottom