zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I've ridden my YZ250f twice on the local track now. My prior bike was a Suzuki RM125 and I didnt seem to have a problem entering berms fast and exiting somewhat, (not like expert/pro). I have noticed with the 4-stroke that if I'm in third coming towards the turn, I usually downshift to 2nd, pull in the clutch, and try to let the clutch out 40% in the turn, and if I have braked too hard, the bike likes to lurch/stall. Am I braking to late? I read up on the 4-stroke carrying "decompression engine braking", so am I trying to carry too much speed into the turn?. On the RM I could fly to the berm, pull the brakes and clutch and let out the clutch in the berm and carry out all right in 2nd, doesnt seem to be the case with the YZF. Any suggestions would be great...By the way, I love this bike....

dirtdad

Mar 3, 2001
I don't have a 250F, I have a 426F so I may be off-base here. Stop trying to ride the bike like your two-stroke. utilize the
compression breaking to slow the bike down coming into the turn without the clutch. Just keep the motor perking and roll it on coming out of the turn. Do not try the cut and thrust you're used to on the 2-stroke. Your bike has alot more torque than your old one so take advantage of that. You may need to take different lines than you're used to. I think the more you get used to the differences you'll find that your turning will get faster. Hope this helps.

------------------
00 YZ426
01 TTR-125L (son's)

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 03-28-2001).]

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
I recommend the above statement as well.

However, play around with your fork height as well. Raise the forks in the tripleclamps to help sharpen the turning.

Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
You need to adopt a different style, its easier than it sounds to.

Try and ride this bike smoothly, the clutch is not needed half as much as when cornering your 125. Try to maintain corner speed throughout the corner, once you get the hang of this bike you will be rewarded, I was.

Cheers
Simmo

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I always go into the turn in the gear I am going to exit with. If you can only exit in 2nd ( a quick 180 degree) go into the turn in second - but when you shift from 3rd to second do it before the turn, and don't use the brake. Then just keep rolling the power on . If it is a 3rd gear turn it is even easier - usually no shifting needed before or after. If you are entering as fast as possible in 3rd and bogging coming out, try 2nd gear next time. You might even consider adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket if you run consistently on tighter tracks.

Well, that's my system anyhow and it works for me. No clutch or brake unless it is an quick little jab for adjusting speed or going over a berm. Keep it smooth and you will be faster on the 4 str. for sure. A two stroke might be able to go into a corner harder, but a well ridden 4 stroke will usually exit faster. ( IMO )

Top Bottom