Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
As I said in my last thread I didn't make it to Whitney. After another sleepless night I found myself back at my local hard pack track for the once a month races. I didn't particularly want to race there but since I have little choice unless I preferred to go through "race withdrawal" I loaded the truck and pulled in about 10 minutes prior to race time. I signed up for the D class and the old guys' class.

I head to the gate, I'm moto one, the D class. At this track it doesn't matter what the bore of your machine is so it's 125 to 500cc. The board went sideways as I prepared to give the 125 all she had to try and stay up with the bigger bikes. To my surprise I pulled my 1st hole shot. It was great! I was about 5 or 6 bikes lengths ahead of everyone else and stayed there for about 3/4 of a lap before being passed by 1 rider. I managed to maintain till I made a mistake on the last lap and got block passed, I ended up with a 3rd for D moto 1.

Next up moto 10, the old guys. I got a terrible start but managed to pass a lot in the corners and even hold my own down the straight. I ended up with a 2nd and good enough for me I was tired.

Speaking of tired its time to start over. I head from the finish line back to the start for 2nd heat D class. How cool is this? Another huge hole shot! I could tell the dude behind me was determined to catch me as we hit the step up at the same time and we were both going fast. As I landed right at the bottom of the jump his back tire was still about 10 feet in the air above me:aj: He landed hard on the flat and I had to brake hard to keep from hitting him. He was all over the track at this point so I figured if he wanted it that bad he could have it. I watched him the whole race and he was out of control but managed to finish 1st. Me on the other hand held 2nd until the last half of the last lap when the guy behind me had arm pump so back he couldn't use his brakes. He T-boned me in a corner knocking us both down. Since his bike was on top of mine he got back up before me as 2 guys passed us. As I got up I noticed my bars were at about a 45 degree angle but I tried anyway. As I flew into the next corner and reached for the front brake the lever wouldn't pull. I managed to make the corner but obstacle was the "rug board" whoop section. I had been blitzing through them all day but I never tried it with crooked handle bars.:ugg:
I managed to hold my position and finished 5th.

After straightening the forks in the clamps (that's all that was wrong with that) and fixing the front brake lever I have a little bit to recoup before the final moto of the day.

2nd race with the old guys and I get a much better start. I was 3rd in the 1st turn, not bad for racing a 125 against all the V-8s on the line. I was on the 2nd place's tire the entire race with a guy on mine as well. I ended up with a 3rd on that one for a 3rd over all.

I ended up with a 3rd & 4th place trophy for that day. Not bad after 2 nights of no sleep but really wanted to race Whitney. My head hurts now, no racing next weekend, the band has a gig.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
I found myself back at my local hard pack track for the once a month races

those are pretty good results. which track is your local hard pack track?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Jeff, well done & congrats. Bet Tigger won't be telling you that you suck this time :)

If I'm looking forward to a ride, I suffer really bad insomnia the night before. For the first couple of years of riding, I was like this every weekend, now I'm a bit more selective about it ;)
Michelle

Top Bottom