Epoxy for shorter intake duration?

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
I have an air cooled Fantic 80 trials bike that had an MX type powerband. Based on Eric's book, I machined the bottom of the cylinder to retard timing and reduce port durations. However, there is no reed valve so this mod actually increased intake duration. Can I use JB Weld on the bottom of the intake port to reduce duration? Can the JB weld be flush with the bore or is there too much heat?

Just the machining helped tremendously but I want a little more at the very bottom. At low rpms the power can sort of just shut off. I'm also planning to try a longer head pipe on the exhaust.

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
Imo there is not must heat at that point, JB weld shld work, but my experience is limited.
JB weld is nice to work with although i find it rather difficult to get it settled where i want it, since it is very thin in viscos at first. I did some JB weld myself at the ports but i haven't assembled engine yet. I wld say to lay it back just a fraction that it has some room to expand into the cilinder so it won't hit rings.
It is rather quite at the mods forum lately, won't you say?
Anyway if you done the mod pls refer back, i am interrested.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
MCMAN56 said:
I have an air cooled Fantic 80 trials bike that had an MX type powerband. Based on Eric's book, I machined the bottom of the cylinder to retard timing and reduce port durations. However, there is no reed valve so this mod actually increased intake duration. Can I use JB Weld on the bottom of the intake port to reduce duration? Can the JB weld be flush with the bore or is there too much heat?

Just the machining helped tremendously but I want a little more at the very bottom. At low rpms the power can sort of just shut off. I'm also planning to try a longer head pipe on the exhaust.

please explain more about intake duration vs. reeds vs. no reeds-i'm not following.

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
Reed valves prrevent back flow into the intake system so, in a way, control functional intake duration. (or maybe I should say have an effect on "real" intake duration.) Non reed valve motors have no such control and can have issues with blow back through the carb.

sweden_345

Jul 17, 2002
Would this mean that if I cut the intake port to much it would't be devastating for the performance because no blow back is possible?

Also, when I grind the ports do I want the grain to be linear along the ports or round inside the walls? Or do I simply polish the inside? I'am not certain on either as if the surface was polished the gases would attach to much to the material?

Sry for stupid question just trying to learn :whoa:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
sweden_345 said:
Would this mean that if I cut the intake port to much it would't be devastating for the performance because no blow back is possible?

Also, when I grind the ports do I want the grain to be linear along the ports or round inside the walls? Or do I simply polish the inside? I'am not certain on either as if the surface was polished the gases would attach to much to the material?

Sry for stupid question just trying to learn :whoa:

Randomly cutting any port, intake, exhaust, or transfer, can have horrible results if you don't know what you are doing.

Cleaning up the ports and getting rid of casting irregularties is a different story. You can do that without changing port timing. Intake port should usually have a somewhat rough finish. Exhaust should be polished to keep carbon from sticking.

Stockholm kicks ass :laugh:
I got to visit there a few months back (spent about a month in Jonkoping / Husqvarna).

To the original poster -
I would not use JB weld on ports. It doesn't handle heat well, and there are chances it could flake off. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the epoxy that guys like Eric Gorr use.

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
MCMAN56 said:
Can I use JB Weld on the bottom of the intake port to reduce duration? Can the JB weld be flush with the bore or is there too much heat?

I'd use Devcon.. Have used it successfully in cylinder head intake runner mods/fixes for years..

A little hard to find, pricey but it stays...

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
doesnt a longer header on an expansion chamber gain top end. i am confused because when people add a torque spacer it seems to me that it would pull better on the bottom.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
A longer header (head pipe) on a chamber moves the torque lower in the RPM range.

A change of 1 inch is easy to notice.

Chris

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
hot125mod said:
doesnt a longer header on an expansion chamber gain top end. i am confused because when people add a torque spacer it seems to me that it would pull better on the bottom.

General rule:
Longer header before the expansion chamber increases low-end.
Longer stinger after the expansion chamber increases top-end.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom