ericgorr kdx240

Acavin

Feb 15, 2002
Who has gotten this done? Is it a lot stronger down low, and are there any major problems? Also, how long does it take from shipping my cylinder to receiving it back from Gorr?

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I installed the "240 Big Bore Kit" from LA Sleeve on an 1986 KDX 200, over 10 years ago. The kit made a world of difference in the bikes low end power, it felt like a different bike. It took some time to get the bike setup, I tried jetting first, but ended up getting a bigger carb. I think it took about a week for LA Sleeve to get my cylinder back.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
I have an LA sleeve kit in an 85. The power is amazing down low. Gearing must be raised to make it useable. I will be able to fix it with setup, but i havnet had time yet. It makes much more power, much lower in the rpm range.

I recommend it especially from Eric as he will raise the port height to reflect the change in bore size, this is very important as it will ensure broad power.

keep in mind that with the bigger bore you will need to lean out your getting (not richen) this is because the bigger displacement increases the velocity of the air entering the carb, which means more vacuum which means more gas.

Good luck
Tim

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'd suggest asking mr. gorr the timeframe question. Why wouldn't you? The timeframe of someone that had it done last month isn't likely to be the same today.

I'd suggest a search on this board regarding the 240, also. It hasn't been addressed as often as some topics, but enough to help you some.

Good luck!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Then that is something new. He used to not take the 200 to 240 because of material thickness or space available somewheres.

At least that's what I thought I remembered I read on his site someplace.

...which seems to be non-responsive right now so I can't check any of it out.

Thanks for the correction!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
canyncarvr said:
At least that's what I thought I remembered I read on his site someplace.

...which seems to be non-responsive right now so I can't check any of it out.

Eric's website is hosted by the same servers as DRN, but the new DNS info for Eric's site hasn't propogated completely yet.
It should be accessible soon. :cool:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mr. R.:

Do you have an input as to the 200/240 big bore? Did something change? ..or, I've always been wrong about it?

Heck...I just make up most stuff as I go along. ;)

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I was under the impression that the 240 kit worked for either the 200 or the 220, its just a steel LA sleeve. I know there are a number of people that have the older E series (89-94) KDX 200's punched out to 240cc. I'm waiting to hear the final determination on this as well, when the time comes that my 89 cylinder needs work i'd seriously consider punching it to 240cc if there was no real downside (reliability concerns, etc.)

-Maurice

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
m0rie said:
i'd seriously consider punching it to 240cc if there was no real downside (reliability concerns, etc.)

Fuel mileage would be my biggest concern

With Prospect opening the 1st of July, need to at least run 60 miles per tank :ride:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Yeah fuel mileage would certainly be a big concern...but then we've got the monster tank on the E series KDX's :-) I'd think with clean jetting and not screaming it WOT all day long the mileage shouldn't drop all that much. Especially given that some of the situations where you would be wailing on the throttle on a 200 you could just kinda tractor up on a 240? Too bad there isn't a 220ish kit for the E series KDX's...

-Maurice

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a 240 kit in an old '84 KDX (no power valve). Bottom end power was outstanding - way better than I expected. Fuel mileage was way down (probably 15-20%), even after proper jetting. You have a lot more friction from the piston, and even if you are riding the bike the same speed as before but using a higher gear, you will burn the same or more fuel. A high rpm engine under light load uses less fuel than a low rpm engine lugging under load. And you will lug the 240.

On mine, the motor did not like to rev out like a stocker, so I bet peak power was about the same as stock. To get the most out of a big bore kit, you are going to want a good engine builder (like Eric) to port the engine for optimum port timing.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Do you think a newer bike with the power valve setup would take as large a mileage hit from the 240 kit? The rev out seems to be a sticking point with the 240 kit with most people as well. Can that be overcome somewhat with somebody like Eric Gorr porting it and a rev style pipe? Or would that be too much like having your cake and eating it as well to have it happen?

-Maurice

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, a good engine guru could certainly get a KDX240 to rev, with the right pipe and porting. The powervalve is the greatest invention ever for having your cake and eating it, too. :) As long as you can retain it, you have potential for excellent all around power with 240cc. But would it get the same fuel range as a well jetted stocker? Not likely.

I think anyone contemplating such a project needs to really give some thought about what kind of power delivery and usable rpm range they want, and what they are willing to give up. Then talk to an expert like Eric re: pros and cons.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Thanks, i'll have to take a good look at the type of riding that i'm doing and where I want to go.

-Maurice

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…