Errrrrrr, Tranny problems continued----->

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
ok, so finally after 4 months i got my bike bake together, and running, started 4th kick and runs great and strong. But before i took it apart i lost 1st gear. fixed it.. and now i have nothing above 2nd... when i try to shift i hear a grinding noise and it will stay in second.. Its also really hard to near impossible to find neutral.

But i hear that grinding noise (coming from the tranny) if i'm coasting down a hill with no throttle. 1st is fine, second is fine.. thats it. i JUST had it apart and the shifting forks looked fine. the gears looked fine and slid back and forth fine. cases went together fine to.. and everything worked PERFECT for about 10-15min before i lost third to fifth gears.

i don't know whats wrong, and neither does my dad... I'm tired of this....

Thanks if you have ideas...

**EDIT**
oh yeah, this is for my 1983 Kx250...

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
We took it apart and put it together within the same 2-3 hours. me my dad and my cousin were all working on it, and we all are pretty mechanically inclined. and i looked good and worked good when we put it together.

And yes i did use a service manual. Did everything it told us to do..

And we never found anything wrong the first time... it just looked like the forks were jamming in the shift drum. so we took it apart and put it back together, and worked fine. now there feels like there is no resistance in the shifter(like too easy to shift.).. I'm actually thinking it feels like a spring came loose under the clutch cover. ill look at it sometime within the next week.. but i don't understand how that could make us lose gears.

i don't know... I'm clueless as what could be wrong.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Did you verify that it would shift it up and down through all the gears while it was still sitting on the bench? Did you do this with the clutch on or off?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Yes it shifted threw all the gears on the bench. It shifted when the clutch was completely off the engine. And when we put the whole engine together (with the clutch and, covers all on still on the bench) it worked, and it still worked when we fired it up and rode it threw the yard.. for about 10 minutes. And then we started to have problems. first it was i couldn't find neutral then 3rd and up went. i can get to neutral when it is off but not on. But i never get 3rd and up. off or on.

**edit**

well i just went out there and tried it since its cold, and neutral is hard, i can get it in neutral but there is no click or stop feeling where neutral should be.. and when it was on i thought it was in neutral and i took my hand off the clutch and sat there for a min and it just randomly popped back into gear. and i almost fell off the back.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
We never took the star gear off. we just took the shift drum off. I will see if it needs tightened though. I never even though of that. Sounds plausible.

Maby it came loose and caused the first problem.

Thanks!!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
ok, so i just took it for a spin to put it away, my dad told me to adjust the clutch so i did and now i have all the gears... neutral is sketchy.. and 4th is weird.. it like popped in an out..

ill adjust it some more tommarrow (its too dark) ill let you know what happens....

this bike is making me frustrated...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There should be 1 little spring loaded roller that holds the drum in place when it shifts. The pawl. You can not remove the drum without removing this first, from the clutch side, uh oh.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
i know.. when we took it apart we took the spring off. which removed the pressure of the roller so we could freely spin the shift drum (and with the 2 bolts holding the shift drum off) you could turn the star gear to match up with the hole to pull it out. i know where all the springs and such go. and yes i put it back on. But i don't understand i lose gears and then get them back.. it seems to work now, like i have 1st threw 4th (not enough room to test 5th) but its hard to get it into each gear, like you have to go way up or way down and sometime it isn't there.. and sometimes when you shift it wont do anything and then kick in like 2 second later.. or vice versa, it will shift to 4th and then kick back down.

i don't know how to explain it. Its almost impossible to get to neutral.. on or off.. sometime coming up from 1st theres nothing there... then push it forward and it will catch... 2nd but no neutral that i can feel... and when i get it into neutral then start it up and sit for a second it will kick into first or second and almost kick me almost off the bike. i know the clutch needs adjusted some, but ill do that tommarrow..

I think that spring may have popped off somehow.. making it so there is no real pressure keeping it in gear or not. or the star gear is loose like IndyMX said. I have to investigate.

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
hmm.. maybe but i don't know how that could have happened. you had to line everything up before it would go togeather, and that was in neutral.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Well that is good. How about that little pin between the drum and ratchet? If it was something inside the trans I would believe it would do it all the time and get progressively worse. The shift shaft where it connects to the star plate, is it welded or pinned? Is the return spring properly installed? Does the pawl move freely?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
We never took the shift mechanism or shift drum apart, we only took it off. I don't remember seeing anything welded, and where the shift ratchet pushes on the shift drum to switch the gears were pins. (don't know if that helps) We had trouble at first getting the return spring to stay on because it kept sliding off the shaft (but with the side cover on it shouldn't slide).

I have to take it apart and see. Whenever it stop snowing and being cold out ill take the side cover off. Take the clutch off and see whats up with the shifting mechanism. But I'm not going to do it with snow on the ground (cant bring it in the house, shed is to small and clustered with stuff.)

And here are the schematics for the shift mechanism and shift drum. (if that helps you)

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...change-drum-forks-83-kx250-c1/o/m3827sch87274
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...-change-mechanism-83-kx250-c1/o/m3827sch85254

Thanks!!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The forecasters here really blew yesterday, it snowed all day! It usually stops here before Pa! Snow blows, no it is blowing and chilly this morning, my truck will not shut off all day, I do not have to pick up the tab! 2 best things I did last year was moving the hot tub and work shop in the basement, no gas or oil allowed in the house!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
haha, yeah it snowed almost all day here yesterday to. And this morning it is very cold, and very windy.

And i still have to work outside. And i dont even want to go outside today.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Any who, i fixed the problem. It was the spring that holds the roller onto the star gear keeping it in gear. I found a spring that fit, but I'm still going to order the rite one.

But now. I cant get my bike started. i changed the spark plug because when i was riding it kind of died, and would start but not run. And now it will barley start. It has compression. But I'm not sure if it has spark (it kind of got dark on me.) So i didn't gap the plug because my dad decided to use the gap tool and not return it to its spot, so its missing, but it looked close enough. Maby just just a fraction more open than the old one looked, but you can only see the difference with a long stare.

But once i do get it started i have to use like 1/8 throttle even when the choke is on. and it will fire up, go ting ting ting, and will goes like spwoosh (like a sudden rush of air and fuel out of the exhaust pipe) and then die. and then takes forever for it to do it agina. (sound like a bad plug to me.. but its not i JUST replaced it.

So any ideas, will a fraction difference in the gap of the plug make this much of a difference? spark maybe? i don't know.... I'm worried.

Thanks for the help.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
i just put 2 BRAND spankin new plugs in.

I'm narrowing down the problem, and rite now i just discovered there is no spark, so i'm running over the electrical...

ill open up a new on if i cant figure it out. tommarrow.

Top Bottom