rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
A few months back someone posted a topic on the purchase of the Excel wheelsets (complete) which come with Excel rims and Excel hubs w/ring carriers. The carriers allow the wheels to be interchangable between different bikes without having to purchase a new hub. Anyway, I responded to that post as I was having problems with my hubs.

Three weeks after I bought my wheels for my 02 CRF, three of the eight ring carrier bolts (sprocket side) broke off inside my hub while riding. I had the hub tapped out and ordered new bolts. 2 weeks after the new bolts were installed (torqued to spec) the ring carrier itself broke/cracked. I ordered a new ring carrier ($90) and installed it. 2 weeks later, that carrier broke as well. I was frustrated at this point and decided to contact FTM/Excel. They were very helpful and understanding of the situation... which is why I'm posting this. Excel admitted they were having problems with those hubs, especially on the 450's and 426's, and sent me a new ring carrier at no charge. So if anyone is having problems with these contact FTM/Excel and talk to them about it. FTM is willing to work with the riders and stands behind their product. And for anyone who hasn't had a problem with these, check your sprocket ring carrier closely for fractures.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Thanks rockchucker,I guess I am fortunate,I purchased the front only complete wheel for my kx.No torque up there.My rotor carrier for what it's worth is holding up fine.Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom