Excessive smoke?

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
I've watch quite a few enduro 2-strokes (ktm, kdx, so on) drive and all seem to let off an excessive amount of smoke. Is this normal, running rich, need to repack or clean out s/a?f

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
It depends on what your definition of 'excessive smoke' is. 2 strokes will smoke a little just because of the oil, but way too much, like a haze that will stay there if you rev your bike while sitting still is probably just it is jetted too rich. That's what mine is doing now. If you need help on getting your bike jetting right, go to the tech tips section @ justkdx.dirtrider.net and click on carburetor tuning. It is very helpful.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Excessive smoke is also a sign of Crank case seals gone bad. The smoke never goes away no matter what throttle position you are at.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I think that condition is common for most spare time riders who don't want to change their jetting every time the conditions change. If you watch a pro race though you'll never see smoke from their bikes unless they just started it up.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
once my kx100 is warmed up, it doesn't smoke at all. when you blip the throttle, nothing. my dads kdx is normaly on when he gases it. i thought it was rich too, but thought it could just be how they're set up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…