Exhaust Governor

Ryche_

Mar 25, 2004
My exhaust govenor gear is broke on my 1988 yz 250... It's going to take about a week to get the part in, but i was curious as to A), what does this part do, and B) how necessary is it to run the bike correctly.... i want to ride it for the next week, just not sure if it will have any significant power loss or will hurt the bike if i run it without the exhaust govenor working..

Ryche..

Thanx in advanced..

elf

Jun 7, 2003
It probably wont hurt, but with your powervalve not working you wont have any top end power. I had the same problem on a 89 yz125. You can ride but it wont run like it should till you get it fixed.

Oh I forgot to answer A. The power valve or exaust Governor
as you call it changes the height of your exaust port. At low speeds its down for a lower port height to give you more low end power. as revs increase the valve moves up raising your port. this lets your engine make more power at higher rpms. So if its not working the valve will stay in the lower position giving you your normal low end power< It will still rev up but wont make nearly as much top end.

Last edited:

Ryche_

Mar 25, 2004
Thanx alot Elf.. i appreciate that answer.. i figured that's what the problem would be, but wanted to make sure i don't break anything by running it without.. i'll probably wait, but i'm jonsin to ride..heheheheh..

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You can ride it without the powervalve but it will feel like it's loaded up and won't clear out, real annoying if you ask me! It just doesn't feel right if you know what I mean. ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…