Exhaust leak...new gasket,new o rings,same leak kdx220

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
1997 KDX 220 Springs are in place.I cleaned everything beautifully.Pipe still leaks at the cylinder.I noticed there are threaded holes in the cylinder that look like a collar of some kind should be bolted around pipe.But I checked some online schematics and they dont show a collar.Not on the pipe,not on the head.Any help out there?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
If the junction is worn out, it may still leak, even after new springs, o-rings and a copper crush gasket. Use some silicone sealant.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Thank you.Are you referring to the copper silicone?Will that stand the heat and pressure?Do I put it around the header pipe around and between the rubber o rings?I appreciate your advice.I just bought the bike after not having ridden for 15 years.It seems to be a great bike other than the leak.I got my son an xr 100 and I got the 220.We had a blast today at Zaca station(a small but fun mx park by our home here in central calif.)Anyway,thanks again! Jim

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Some heat resistant silicone would be OK.

Between the o-rings would help. I would worry about getting it inside the pipe / cylinder / engine juncction if you put it on the end of the pipe.

tony_d123

Nov 28, 2007
See my recent post....

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=169864

The pipe is almost certainly off an SR model. Just finished painting it and fitted the studs, will be fitting the pipe in a couple of days and will report on how it seals.

Word of warning - the stud holes were pre-drilled and threaded on my bike but I have seen pics where they are just blank castings. If you have to drill them yourself be careful as there is obviously a water jacket behind there somewhere! My stud holes are about 18mm deep.

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
Exhaust Leak.......

I've found that Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker does the job really well. I'll apply some around the outer edge of the pipe than slide it into the engine exhaust. A little will stay on the outside and I add to that to make a 1/4" seal around the pipe. Let it dry 24 hours and you're ready to go....Dave

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks to all of you for your help.I'll give the Permatex a shot.I found that the very edge of the pipe where it meets the crush gasket against the cylinder is not flat.It doesn't look smashed or bent,but appears to just be worn down.About 60% is flat.The other 40% is about 1/32 to 3/64 lower,angling down from the flat area,so that it only flattens 60% of the crush gasket.Would adding a second crush gasket help to fill the worn area,or would the seal be worse?Your thoughts?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…