exhaust port

98dicksonm

Aug 5, 2002
i recently replaced the rubber
'o' rings on the fmf pipe of my 1997 kdx 200 and its onlly a few months later and its leaking out the exhaust port again, is there anything you can do that will act as a long term solution? or will i have to change the o rings on a regular basis.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Try getting a new copper exhaust gasket. It fits up into the exhaust port and seals between where the face of the pipe and cylinder meet. This will probably solve the leaking issue.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Don't bother with the copper gasket. You don't even need new o-rings, though they're not a bad idea. Gladiator has it right. Remove the pipe and clean the pipe end and the exhaust port mating flange with solvent to remove any grease and oil. Apply a thick ring of clear silicone sealant between the two O-rings and reinstall the pipe (don't get crazy, you want enough for a good seal, but not so much that it oozes into the exhaust sub-ports). Give it 24hrs to cure and your leaking problems will be over. If you're nervous about the heat, you could go with the red high temp stuff, but I've never had a problem with clear silicone.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I second what BRush said go with the silicone. Reuse the stock copper gasket and the o-ring that are presently on the pipe then just apply silicone as BRush described.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
But...why does it leak?

Probably is tweaked. With it mounted as it needs to be to fit into the mounting holes, look at how the pipe enters the cylinder..and it'll probably not be straight.

While silcone will go a long way toward stopping the leaking..you may get a better fit with a little pipe bending. With something long and tough (I've used a truck strap tightener....it has another name...but it's not nice) stuck in the head end and some fairly aggressive grabs on other parts of the pipe, I've improved the fit of my pipe considerably.

Also..Don't attach both springs until the other mounts are lined up, bolts started. Then remove the spring and you may be able to improve the 'fit' of the pipe into the cylinder my moving 'stuff' a bit.

Silicone sounds a bit easier about now, 'eh??

Good Luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…