Exhaust Valve gear grinded?

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Hi Guys! I was checking out the top end of my new used bike today 92 KDX 200, cleaning the piston etc. And when I took out the left valve exhaust part 12005 in the pic provided. The bottom of the gear looks all chewed up. Does anyone know what would cause it to grind up? Cause i'm going to order some parts but don't want to take every thing apart until I can get a manual. Thanks for any help!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~lleepp/convert.png

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Mine's not perfect on my '03. If it looks pretty bad of course I would go ahead and replace it. I really don't know what causes these things to wear the way they do, unless carbon buildup causes them to slip and grind. If that's the only damage you have your doing pretty good. Is your piston stock?

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
My guess would be from carbon build up or mabye there were some debris in there that caused it to stick. The piston with the B on top is a proX / stock piston.

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
John,

Replace the powervalve. It will be stripped by the time you next need to do a set of rings. It is a problem with the 1989-1994 KDX200s.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Thanks Jpm200! Here is a pic of my left exhaust valve teeth are grinded plus its snapped in half can't believe I’ve been riding it like that.

Pic of Valve: http://home.cogeco.ca/~lleepp/P1020172.JPG

Sorry i'm only 19 and dont know the most about bikes yet. What is the power valve? Can you take a look at this pic and tell me the part number? Thanks Alot! There's a valve in the middle,on top of the exhaust port I can touch that has a little grove in 1 spot that feels likes its chipped a little if thats the power valve.

Parts Pic: http://home.cogeco.ca/~lleepp/convert.bmp

Thanks again great help all!!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
That’s a common problem with the 89-94 200s. One of two things happen. Either the sub port valves become carbon seized in their bore causing the actuator rod to strip the gear or the hole in where the valve fits in the bottom of the sub-port valves bore become s enlarged over time and allows the valve to lean on an angle and bind. It’s important to check the condition of the hole before installing a new valve. If the hole is enlarged there are a couple things that you can do to fix it. One is to bring the cylinder to a machine shop and have them machine and install a brass bushing to restore the hole to its original size. The second is to purposely deform the aluminum around the hole reducing its size. This is what most people will do. Basically you use a punch and hammer and make four punch marks equally around the hole then test fit the valve. Punch in the same four holes until the hole is reduced to an appropriate size. I would punch about 3 or 4mm from the hole. Once the valve was fitting snug again I would punch it one more time then resize the hole to the appropriate size by carefully drilling it out again with an appropriate sized bit. It sounds brutal but it works and will prevent you form continually breaking valves. It will also be important to properly jet the carb to avoid running excessively rich and to clean the valves when ever the motor is apart for service.

David

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
The holes on the bottom in the engine are looking good. But the top 2 collars have some wear so im gonna replace them :cool:

Thanks for the help!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…