Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Just got this from the DRN in reply to confirming our reservations for 8/8 - 10;
"Bruce,

A follow up to my last e-mail.

We are facing extreme fire danger conditions in western Washington. We have
not had it this dry out there in many years.

There is a possibility of a fire danger "4" being put in place by Aug 8. This
would mean a total shut down of the forest, no people, no trail use, no camping,
no recreation. We are working with Olympia and the region to get some direction
on this. I just wanted to give you a heads-up, it may happen. This would
effect your stay at the horse camp. I will keep you posted."

pray for rain, guys.....and be careful out there this weekend!

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
On the bright side, there's definately NOT anyone else sceduled to camp there on our weekend. I was planning to ride a little this weekend, may just spend it fishing instead, dunno. Generally got room for one or two more if anyone's interested, Gig Harbor, claybanks stuff.

78 degrees on my back porch right now.... :flame:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
As far as temps go Capitol Forest is in the low fifties at daybreak.

Bruce if you buy a bigger boat like a 22 you'll have more room for friends :thumb:

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Dont you guys ever do any river fishing??? Or how about a ride to a remote lake that has epic trout fishing??? I know when I lived in Montana that's all we did. Mainly river fishing but some lake. I just never found trolling in a boat much fun, guess I should try ocean fishing sometime.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Ahh the fine difference between the meditative aspect of fishing and the adrenaline pumping visceral satisfaction of catching. :)

Yeah BABY! Of course if you start at noon............might as well stay in the bar.

Bring your fly rods to the spodefest! Let's see if there are any fish in the river.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Last Sunday I went out fishing with my dad. He didn't catch anything, but on the way back in, he lost his kicker motor he just put on. :( He wasn't happy. Especially since the motor was something like 30 yrs old. It was built by Chrysler, and was almost new. I WAS going to go fishing with him at least once a week in the sound, but now I dunno........

Jeremy

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Tahuya Rat
78 degrees on my back porch right now.... :flame:

AAAAACK! It's like 90 right now over here. I hate it. No AC in either the truck or house. :think:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
FC, what are you smoking, it was 100 degrees today, 107 in Colville :scream:

You should have seen all the idoits up at Priest Lake with their 2 srokes over the last 2 weekends:|
Even had a neighbor on the lake light up a bon fire. I guess they all couldn't see the 400 acre wildfire about 5 miles away :think:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
So I suppose there would be no volunteers to help tear off a roof and replace it with onyx black in the next couple of days. Shingle temps might only hit 135 to 150.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
bsmith, we was talking nightime temps, like, there's no way to sleep when it's this hot. Its just too flippin hot everywhere right now except the coast.....hmmmm, if anyone knows anywhere we'd be game

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
There is a small riding area in Joyce which is between PA and neah bay on the old highway. Daytime highs probably hit 75 which is a veritable heat wave. Last year while fishing at Neah bay the Temps skyrocketed to 75F and the locals were melting. If it drops to 75 right now I would probably put on a coat.

The good news is that humidity levels are high 75- 100% right now so a drop in temp will bring heavy dew and a lower fire risk than temps indicate. The NWS fire weather site places the risk based on the haines index at low and moderate for the next couple days. :yeehaw:

Nothing that I haven't thought about, T-rat, I walked into an office and the secrataries were gripping about the A/C. If they only knew.

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by bsmith
FC, what are you smoking, it was 100 degrees today, 107 in Colville :scream:

Yeah, it was 102 in town today by my thermometer but cooled off to about 90 by this time.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Originally posted by fishhead
So I suppose there would be no volunteers to help tear off a roof and replace it with onyx black in the next couple of days. Shingle temps might only hit 135 to 150.

If the price is right, sure would! People get desperate when the bills don't stop. :p

Jeremy

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Bummer about the campout! Colville area is shutdown too, at least on the FS land. I guess the DNR land is still open up there but I wouldn't want to be the cause of a mess up there!

We will be biking on the water this weekend, when we aren't at Silverwood for my daughter's birthday. Nothing like floating up to the bar in your tube on the Lazy River! Too bad we won't be doing that with 6 8 year olds to keep an eye on!!! Oh wellllll, there's always next time.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
No shutdowns yet that I know of, Jon Byerly of DNR will let me know if there are, so next weekend is a go until/unless I hear otherwise. I'd not previously heard of a class four shutdown, don't know the last time we ever had one, not as long as I've lived here anyway.

IF our plans get fried (pun intended), I'll try real hard to get us another weekend next month. I was thinking real hard about organizing a 3rd run in September anyways, Mad River might not be as dusty by then, and there's quite a bit of camping there, might get to see some salmon spawning, and maybe some line wetting @ Fish Lake. Or, maybe Firecracker, Bbbom & friends could show us some of their secret spots a little farther east.

Generally, anytime its this hot for this long we get rain in the form of thunderstorms sooner or later, just wouldn't want to be standing in the middle of thousands of acres of kindling when it starts :eek:

Top Bottom