cash_62

May 13, 2009
Firstly, I came across a thread on ThumperTalk where a guy used RIT dye powder to turn some of his KDX plastics black...anyone tried this before? How did it turn out? Any words of advice?

Second, thinking of having my frame powder-coated. If I do all the disassembly and just drop off my frame somewhere to do the coating, what is the ballpark I would be looking to spend (either black or silver...not sure which yet)?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Call around to anyplace near you that does or may do powder coat. We found prices around here that ranged up to 250. We found a local shop that did it for us for $75 and did a pretty damn good job.

I died some white plastic with RIT and it came out ok. I'm not sure about dying the green stuff black though....

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
Rit usually only really works with white. If you soak them in enough black rit, it should come out pretty much black.
I have used the krylon fusion spray paint with good results.

cash_62

May 13, 2009
well, just tried the RIT method on my tank/shrouds...FAIL! Seriously, it didn't even color it slightly! I followed directions verbatim, and even left them to soak over night, and....nothing! It ALL washed off. Think I'll try painting the tank...anyone know where I can get black shrouds? I've looked a bit, and can't seem to find them.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
They made white versions in 1990 and 1991, so if you keep an eye out for OEM pieces, you can get white for the 1989 - 1994 KDX200.

cash_62, the gasoline fumes escape through the plastic, and they will bubble up any paint in no time. If you have new black plastic, it won't be long before scratches show up. Scratches show up REAL easily on black plastic, making it look old pretty quickly.

cash_62

May 13, 2009
yeah, glad, I got ya. I normally wouldn't go with black, but this is going to be mostly made into a SuMo bike...probably won't see woods all that often. I actually spoke to some guys over at frpoffroad, and they said that using DupliColor vinyl paint (spray) works pretty well...I tried it and it seems to be working pretty well. I'll post pics when I'm back in town.

Top Bottom