Factory Finish Pipes

derekk87

May 29, 2002
I was lookin at those SRS pipes and silencers, i noticed they are a bare metal finish. How easily do they rust and corrode. Also would i be able to put a relatively cheap clearcoat on it to prevent rust. Does anyone know where i could buy an SRS pipe and silencer? DirtRider tested them and they didnt say where to get them.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
To keep them clean you need to get a weak acid solution and srub them down occasionally-also cover them in wd40 after jetwashing.Goto google and do a search for SRS racing and then you should find the american dealers.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I've got the PC works pipe with that bare metal finish. They require a lot of maintenance!! I use a brillo pad when I wash the bike to clean the pipe and then spray a coat of WD40 on it to keep it from rusting. It works really good, but the WD40 will "burn" (turn the pipe a brownish color) when the pipe gets real hot, so you've got to re-brillo it when you wash it. Looks good though.....

derekk87

May 29, 2002
Thanks for the info guys. And also Boomer, are you able to get the part where it is right up next to the cylinder and around the springs clean or is it just a hit and miss kinda deal.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
More hit and miss than anything. Once you scrub and scrub, it kinda gets old after a while. Think about it -- who's really gonna see that part anyway? It's the first part of the bike to get dirty (unless yours spooges like mine between the pipe and silencer connection). I don't really worry too much about it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
PC pipe also and that part near the cylinder stays brown now.;) It's supposed to look "worked" so having it bright and shiny isn't an issue, if so, buy a platinum one then.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The platinum looks good after it gets hot. The area between the pipe and silencer turns a golden color. The fat part is chrome looking. I do not like it, but it beats a brillo pad!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Yes, it beats a brillo pad any day. Unfortunately the bike that I'm looking at getting has an unplated pipe...how much approx. would it cost to get a pipe chromed?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont think it is that expensive. The problem I have found in our area is that few places want to plate anything without a minimum charge of 50.00 or 100.00. I wish I had a friend in the business!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Originally posted by Studboy
Yes, it beats a brillo pad any day. Unfortunately the bike that I'm looking at getting has an unplated pipe...how much approx. would it cost to get a pipe chromed?

Chrome? What, you riding a Harley? :eek:

Take it to a place that does ceramic coating. It's far better than chrome. Jet Hot and HPC are two national companies, but there's probably a local place as well.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Chrome also weakens metal, certainly not a good thing when most aftermarket pipes bend so easily anyway. Too bad though, I think the chrome would look pretty neat after the heat turned it that cool blue-purple color.

Has anyone tried a clearcoat on those pipes instead of Jet hot (the better, pricier choice)?

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I have a factory finish pipe it is NOT worth the grief! I'm actually considering getting some sort of shiny pipe just to save the hassle.
You do need to be careful to clean pipes up where they meet the cylinder, I have a 95 CR here that the pipe has actually rusted through on...

hrocker

Nov 22, 2002
High temp flat black or high temp clear would do the trick. Try your local auto parts store.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The FMF SST comes chrome plated. If I could get it done for $50 I would do it in a heartbeat, chrome looks so cool anyways...

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I wish someone sold the Kawasaki KX coating. That stuff is strange and very tough. I like th elooks as well as anything.

Studboy, how about powercoat green??? Powdercoat Express in North Salt Lake rocks. Those guys are good!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon, the original KX pipe coating is different. It seems to be bonded or powdercoated because it is different than regular paint.
My KX pipe is plated! The YZ I am looking to acquire has a Doma pipe which is not.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
While the coating on the KX pipe looks good, my pipe busted one of the first times I dropped it (the bike literally just fell over). My PC has held up to a LOT of abuse.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Regular powdercoat doesn't work on exhaust pipes. It burns off. Ceramic coating is basically the same, but it will withstand the heat. There are even a few colors available from what I've seen.

I've had mixed results with high temp paint on exhausts. If you can get a nice rough surface from sandblasting it will stick pretty well. But a good sandblasting will really weaken the metal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…