Clear Coating for paint-less pipe?

crmx91

Dec 4, 2002
I am thinking about taking the paint off of my stock pipe(03cr125) and was wondering if there was like a clear coating ( heat resistant up to 1000 degrees or however hot a pipe gets..) that would prevent any rust but without taking the bare metal look away?
thanks for any replies..

chris

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Duplicolor makes a clearcoat good for 400 degrees F, I don't know how hot a pipe gets but it holds up awesome on my silencer. You can get this at any autoparts store or wal-mart. I am not sure however what it will do to the "bare metal look" it wouldn't hurt to try it, if you don't like it just strip it off.

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
I use this this item called simplegreen along with soap & water after I'm done riding. Then I dry it off with a towel. Followed by a good coating of WD-40. (sorry for the sarcasm - nothing against you) I live in an area where it pretty much rains 6mo. out of the year or more called "Washington" and my raw finish pipes look like new with that little bit of TLC. If you try that Duplicolor clearcoat, let us all know how it holds up. I would be curious as how it reacts when it is heated up and mud & water splashes/gathers on it. One would think that if there was already a clearcoat that would work in that situation, pipe mfg's would be utilizing it?? Maybe not due to cost factor?? Sorry no good answer from me.....

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i used VHT brand high heat clear on a pro circuit pipe natural finish. it worked great. just had to touch up in the same places any painted pipe.

crmx91

Dec 4, 2002
ok.. its not letting my edit my posts or anything.. so ill edit here.. EDIT: where can i get that in town? would i be able to buy it at say autozone or napa or lowes someplace like that. thanks.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I know that autozone and wal-mart have the duplicolor. I don't know about the VHT, I have seen that somewhere...maybe in a magazine?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Studman, I bought that stuff at auto zone. I used it on my polished swingarm and engine cases. It claims to be good to 1000 degrees. It is holding upon the swingarm really well. The cases? No so well, nut it does seal the surface a bit.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon, the dupli-color or the VHT? I have had good results with the dupli-color I like the way it paints. Is the paint burning off the cases or rubbing off? The stuff good to 600 or whatever doesn't burn off my silencer so I wouldn't think that the liquid cooled engine cases would be getting any hotter.

Top Bottom