munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi every body I just bout a low mileage 2001 KDX220. I have not been riding in years. I weigh about 220# (a couple more bratwust and i'll probably hit 230). Is there anything I should do to the bike to make it more sutable for a fat old guy. Any recomendations for mantenance and brands of fluids I should use.

Thanks
Bill

P.S. The bike is not equipt with an ash tray, any tech tips for installing one?

rvguy

May 31, 2002
First thing, change the front springs. @ 220, .42 or .44 will do. The stockers are terrible for us big muscular guys. Second, that small hole with the cap on it (between the seat and tank) will work just fine for butts!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
yup the suspenders will need to b set up for ur wt,that's a must no matter how much u weigh.chk the bearings (stem,link,s arm,etc),use good waterproof grease.i like synthetic oils ....brand ....won't open that can a worms everyone uses a diff one .enjoy ur bike....ride safe :)

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
munich, if you don't want to quit smoking, but you want your bike to go cold turkey, you may want to check the mix ratio as well :confused: Also, has the air box been modified yet?

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi everybody, thanks for the replys. Being a FOG (fat old guy) I bought this bike to relive my glory years, you other FOG's remember these day as the time when healing time was very rapid after a crash. Part of my great memories of riding way back when was using Castrol castor oil in my bike (love that smell). I found 2 brands Klotz and somebody else I can not rember, that sell a casor oil blend. Has anyone used this stuff with any good or bad results? I am willing to buy a couple extra plugs and clean the pipe a little more often if neccessary, but do not want to sacrifice reliability.

I has not received the bike jet, is is supposed to shipped next week. From the pictures I received from the seller, it has an FMF pipe ( I beleive it is a Gnarly nodel) and spark arrestor on it. The seller is also sending the original exhaust along. Should a FOG like me put the stock pipe back on for a while till i get readjusted to riding again after 20 years or is the FMF pipe not that crazy of an improvement.

Thanks Bill

Last edited:

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
They make an ash tray adaptor that mounts to your beer can holder. I don't smoke but I hear that on really nasty rides, some ashes may end up in the beer. :)

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I too am a F.O.G. with a KDX 220. I have the FMF rev pipe (sorry canyncarvr, I checked the number when I bought it, but I've forgotten which number is which so I call it a rev pipe)--the power still comes on very smooth.

HUSKwKDX

Oct 4, 2001
munich-
After a 20 year sebatical (which is 5 years longer than mine), you might want to put the 'tamer' stock pipe back on. The stock setup is both mild and stealthy (quiet). If a FOG like you can't pass 'em, at least you can sneak up on them. :D Check your jetting!! Whatever you do ... check out Canadian Dave's Just KDX site. Its got lots of info on these bikes. Click here!

Have fun!! and remember ...
It's never too late to have a happy childhood! :)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Munich, welcome back to the sport. Regarding your pipe question, I can offer my own recent experience. My last ride before Memorial Day this year was sometime late summer 1979.

First ride on my KDX was "Ohmygod this is a rocket". By the third ride I was searching the DRN archives for which pipe to buy when the checkbook recovers. :cool:

So I would leave the FMF on & enjoy it. Mostly what will surprise you is the bottom end - I was not prepared for 200cc to pull that well down low. Guess its the power valve, etc.

BTW, thanks for coining the phrase FOG - that's perfect! :)

Ken

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Did you experiment with the compression/rebound/ damping adjusters. How about spring adjustment/replacement? Might be helpful?? Maybe not.

Future member of the Portly club! Glad you didn't buy a "Husky" - he ehehe

Last edited:

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
Welcome back Munich. I also have a '01 220. My riding weight with gear is about 240. I purchased 22 lb springs from Freddette for the forks. I also purchased a 5.2 spring for the shock. It made a huge difference. There was also much playing with the compression and rebound settings until I found a good combination. The bike handles like a dream now. Without the spring changes the bike highsided a lot. For some reason the ground seems to have gotten harder than it was 20 years ago. So I made the change about 3 rides and 3 hard crashed into the season. As far as engine mods go I would leave the mods on. My engine is completely stock (but I have changed the piston due to stories of failures) and I can't wait to start adding parts. Good Luck. Ax

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom