Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Sounds like the issue Yamaha had back in 2000 or so. I'm pretty sure they had a recall on the plastic throttle grip assemply.

Of course, like Pred, I could be talking out of my ass!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
My wife just showed me the article today & I was trying to figure out what part he was talking about, let alone what brand.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Quotes from the article on the death and lawsuit.

the throttle stuck wide open as the rider made a jump

While exploring obvious weak areas of the throttle design, engineers concluded that a flawed rotor the throttle cable rode upon caused the throttle to stick

Quote from the Yamaha recall.

On certain vehicles, a loose or bent inner throttle cable wire may derail off the rotor in the throttle housing on the handlebar. If this occurs, the throttle cable could be pinched between the rotor and the housing, causing the throttle to stick.

Like I said for me it was the only likely choice as I can't recall a throttle related recall other than this one.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Wasn't it Jeff Emig's finish line crash that spawn the recall??

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Ive always wonder why people when their throttle sticks never think to hit the back brake. You probly couldnt do it in his case but i've heard other stories where people hammer on the kill buttom and try for the choke but why not put slam on the brake.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
My old yz250 stuck on me wtfo... I just grabbed the clutch and hit the kill switch... It definitely freaked me out though.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
That reminds me of a problem I had with my first bike (1982 KX80)

They had a recall on the throttle cable housing and everything on my bike worked great...until i started it up to ride up the ramp into the truck bed.

It went WOT on me and I ended up jumping the truck, going through our fence, and into the neighbor's pool... :coocoo:

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
If you crash enough or replace enough grips, those old throttle assemblies would have been replaced a couple of times by now.

I remember when that recall occurred, the dealer told me I had to bring the bike in to have it replaced. He would not give me the new part. My bike was in many pieces at the time (I think I was also waiting on the motor to be shipped back ) so bringing it in was not appropriate. I offered to bring the throttle assembly in so they can replace the rotor and they said no.

I never did replace it with the new part as the old one worked well and I eventually replaced it with an aftermarket assembly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom