robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
So the 2nd 03 YZ250f I have has a small crack in the carb right around the drain bolt. It appears that the prior owner tightened the drain bolt too tight and cracked the bowl. The crack is about 1/3" long.

I was thinking of putting the bolt in and sealing it with the gas resistant JB Weld. The bowl can always be drained using the big bolt on the bottom of the bowl that allows access to the main jet.

Think it will work?

Reasonable, low cost solution?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
ive seen it done on , there are dozens of different jbweld and similar products , i bet one will be just what you need. if it was mine i would have our experienced welder throw a bead on it.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
speaking of cracks in bowls, reminds me of the toilet i fixed 2YEARS AGO when everyone told me nothing would hold up. i tried 2 other products which were more suited for the job to no success. third time was the charm.........seamer-mate gutter sealant :coocoo:

back on topic i would try try again just looked at the fleabay prices on your part and i would definitely give it a shot. matter of fact they make a jbweld type product specifically for gas tanks that might be a good place to start??

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
ellandoh said:
speaking of cracks in bowls, reminds me of the toilet i fixed 2YEARS AGO when everyone told me nothing would hold up. i tried 2 other products which were more suited for the job to no success. third time was the charm.........seamer-mate gutter sealant :coocoo:

back on topic i would try try again just looked at the fleabay prices on your part and i would definitely give it a shot. matter of fact they make a jbweld type product specifically for gas tanks that might be a good place to start??

Yeah - tried the ebay thing, too - not good on the prices.

Dad's an "A" welder at a power plant, but he's not very comfortable with aluminum - they just don't weld it very often. I'm sure he could weld it, but would it be significantly better than JB Weld? I dunno?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd say as long as you get it clean as hell, and maybe scuff it up with some 220 grit sand paper, it should hold..

And if it doesn't hold, you really aren't out much.

Worth a try..

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
There's not really going to be any way to scuff it with sandpaper - the crack is basically down in a very small gap that is inaccessible by anything except maybe a small screwdriver or toothpick. Plus, most of the gap is actually the "back side" of the threads of the drain plug.

I was thinking of pushing JB Weld down in there as well as putting it on the threads of the drain plug and the threading it in there.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My plastic tank on my old 480 had several leaks in the bottom, melted through by the pipe at some time. Previously it was plastic welded, some held. I seen the prices around 15 bucks for the hard petroleum safe products, yet I felt I needed something flexible. I found some adhesive sealer that is holding great! And was 10 dollars cheaper. If your rig does not work try something different? You should be able to rig it. Welding is dependent on finding a good welder of Japanese aluminum, its not like our aluminum, seemingly, ask AJ. Vintage Bob

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
My plastic tank on my old 480 had several leaks in the bottom, melted through by the pipe at some time. Previously it was plastic welded, some held. I seen the prices around 15 bucks for the hard petroleum safe products, yet I felt I needed something flexible. I found some adhesive sealer that is holding great! And was 10 dollars cheaper. If your rig does not work try something different? You should be able to rig it. Welding is dependent on finding a good welder of Japanese aluminum, its not like our aluminum, seemingly, ask AJ. Vintage Bob

What adhesive sealer?

Do you think it would work in this situation? I don't suppose there is a lot of "flex" in a carb bowl, but I could be wrong.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Try the JB Weld, like Indy said, what do you have to lose? I have fixed many different parts with JB Weld. About the only thing that I wasnt able to fix was a leaky radiator fin, although I fixed a radiator hose connection that held for a long time. Try scarring it first, then layering the JB Weld as it hardens.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Seal-All, some U.S.A. company called Eclectic Products, Pineville, La. 800-767-4667. Dried fast, real sticky, set like a clear semi-flexible epoxy. Still holding up well, and used frequently! I am sure the permatex or jb weld will work also. For the best part, they do work for jury rigs! Vintage Bob

Top Bottom