weststar

Jul 14, 2002
Has any one made the fiberglass pipe guard shown in the Tech tips section of the justkdx website?
If so, any comments , ideas etc. ?

Thanks

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Ya, I've made one ;). Im actually in the process of making another right now. Just to update one thing: I am having issues with the fiberglass melting and making a huge mess and a god awful smell. :eek: So I went to the local welding supply store and bought some fabric used by welders to place behind the item they are welding so not to burn anything behind. It was kinda pricey at $30 for a sheet about 1 foot by 1 foot. But I've tried many things to no avail (except for 5-6 layers of tin foil, but that just burns off and you have to re pack it every few rides). So, I am hoping this welding fabric works. I have ridden with my first pipe guard for a year and didn't get one dent :) So it actually does work!

FYI, I was the one who sent those directions into JustKDX.

I will be glad to answer anymore questions anyone has.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I've made a couple over the years and they do work well. Check with a local fiber glass products supply company. You can get a high temperate resin that wont burn or smell nearly as bad when it gets hot. When you make the guard I'd suggest tinting the resin black. You can get the tint at your local Canadian Tire. That way the color goes right through and won't be scuffed off like paint. I used 7 layers of fiberglass cloth and its about the right thickness. You can also use fiberglass mat, which is but doesn’t look nearly as nice. I expect you could use mat, let it dry then sand it smooth and apply a layer of cloth?

David

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I asked around all the local autobody shops, automotive shops, and fiber glass shops and everyone says there is no such thing as high temp fiber glass resin. Even Cactus Jim use this stuff called vynil ester, whcih also no one has heard about. I will pick up some of the resin tint. I totally forgot about it until you reminded me. I have already done about 2 layers without tint, is it to late to start using it??

paulmeoff

Apr 20, 2002
run heavy ribs of high temp silicon along the inside of the guard were it rests against the pipe, that way the fibreglass wont be in contact with the hot exhaust.

jim nz

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
No problem Kyle just add tint to the next batches of resin.

I'll call the local supply shop and see if I can get a product name for a resin suitable for high temp applications.

David

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom