mossypad

Aug 1, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
220 pounds, 6'1

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Middle of the road

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods, fields, trails

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Small amount, never owned bike...

5) Do you think you will race ?
No

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Honda, but not necessarily

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$2500 for used

10) Do you live in California?
Nope
11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You are a perfect candidate for a Honda XR250 or XR400. You should be able to find a clean used one in your basic price range. They are nice, stone reliable, air cooled woods bikes that will provide a great introduction to the sport and years of trouble free fun.

Apr 30, 2007
Having ridden one (I'm very small in stature), and having seen an acquaintence ride one (who is very similar in stature to you), the CRF230 is not a bike that you'd would be happy with for long.

As Rich said, the Honda XR250 or 400 would be perfect.

mossypad

Aug 1, 2009
Great, thanks for the help....I know of a CR250R for sale, a little more on the MX side of things but maybe suitable as well?

How about other manufacturers that would have something comparable to the XR250?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
a little more on the MX side of things
Is that like a little pregnant?

The bikes suggested would be a much better choice.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Going to a 250 2 stroke MX bike as a first bike would be a very poor choice. As far as other brands with something similar to an XR250/400 you could look at a Kawasaki KLX300.

They might be hard to find in your budget but I'd also consider the Honda CRF250X and a Yamaha WR250F. These bikes will be a bit more aggressive than the XR but still wonderful trail bikes with more modern suspension.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I second the vote for the KDX200 / KDX220/250 series of machines, or the Yamaha WR250F. The XR400 would also be a nice choice.

A CR250R is a hyperactive bike that'll over-drive you and leave you scared to hit the trails.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Mossy

I just picked up a 2001 XR400 for $1800. The original rotors and foot pegs are not even worn down. The plastics and seat look new. Apparently, the bike was driven on paved back roads...that would appear to be true because the back tire is the only thing worn on the bike. Im not sure if the bike has even been ridden on dirt. I have seen other more used XR400s in the areas for around $1400-$1600. The XR400 is an excellent trail bike and it will be low maintenance. Buy one...change the oil, clean the air filter, and ride it. Dont bother with the trail friendly 2 strokes unless you like replacing top ends ever so often. I dont dare put an actual hour range or I will hear from every Tom, Dick, and Harry that claim 150 hours on their original KDX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom