Jdb107

Mar 5, 2010
I want a dirtbike! Something to get me from my house to work (all city driving) and then rip it up on the trails later on. I prefer to start with something 150-200cc, just not sure what my best options are. $1500 is my budget for my first bike. I have never been on a motorcycle before.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size: 6'1, 215lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Probably be passive while im learning
4) Do you have any riding experience? no
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? not sure what the ups and downs are of each, so no preference
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $1500
10) Do you live in California? Nope; Vancouver, Canada.
11) Your age? 20
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I prefer to learn on something with a little less power until I'm comfortable enough with my riding skills to move up to something a little more powerful. On a side note, it still has to have enough go for highway riding + being able to pass other vehicles if necesary

Thanks for any info guys, this is my first post even though I've been reading these forums for a while.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jdb107 said:
On a side note, it still has to have enough go for highway riding + being able to pass other vehicles if necesary

It sounds like you want a street bike to learn on. Dual sport bikes in the size and price range you are describing don't really exit anymore.

You might want to narrow down your main requirements to something less broad range.

catnip

Jan 3, 2010
You could find a Suzuki DR200 dual sport for a reasonable price. I have one and love it for commuting to work and around town, then finding some gravel roads to explore on. It might be a bit small for your height, but it's a good place to start.

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
Hey "catnip",..I just spent the last 45 minutes checking out "KIJIJI VANCOUVER",..it's gonna be tough to find what you're looking for in that price range. After 35 pages of bikes on kijiji,..I only found a few for you to check out,..(You should post a "bike wanted ad on kijiji..with all your particulars..price range etc.,...you never know.). Anyways..log onto kijiji vancouver...motorcycle section,..check these out: 1) 1988 Suzuki SP-125 4-stroke, 36" seat height,..great beginners bike $600.00 (page#35) 2) convert it to "dirt/street w/lights??? 1999 KTM-250 SX new tires, fat bar, fmf pipe, $2200 o.b.o. (page#10) 3)1985 Yamaha enduro 175c.c. $600 (pg.#22) 4) or straight dirt; 2002 YZ-250 $2100 (pg.#25) "or" 5)2004 Honda CRF-150f $2650 obo. "OR"..STRAIGHT STREET STARTER BIKE; 2008 Honda CBR-125 $2500 (pg.13). Hope this helps...there really isn't much in the $1500 range for newer, enduro's for the size you need in your geographical area. goodluck.

Top Bottom