VBLocal89

Feb 4, 2010
1) your physical size: 6'1 about 180 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you: a little

3) what do you plan to ride- woods, fields, some jumps

4) Do you have any riding experience? No

5) Do you think you will race ? No

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes definitley

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke but im open to other suggestions

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes they carry Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $2000-$4000

10) Do you live in California? No

11) Your age? 20

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I've had my eye on the Yamaha ttr230. However, i've had a couple people tell me this would be too much bike for me and I should get a 125.

Thanks,
Brandon C

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
The TTR 230 is a mild mannered trail bike that is well suited for beginners. However, depending on the types of "jumps" you plan on taking, the suspension may or may not be beefy enough to hold up. You might also look into the Honda XR series. Im not sure which 125 you are referring to...a TTR125 or a motocross 125. Both are a bad idea for different reasons. The TTR 125 is too small and the MX 125 would not be well suited for trail riding.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've had my eye on the Yamaha ttr230. However, i've had a couple people tell me this would be too much bike for me and I should get a 125.
They would be incorrect. As mentioned above the 230 is mellow. Pretty much a plush, low powered, cruiser bike. Good for what it is, but heavy and slow. The TTR 125 would be a fun, pit bike kinda thing, but not for you.

You need to look for a nice used KDX, 200, 220, either one.

VBLocal89

Feb 4, 2010
I've heard of people putting different sprockets on the TTR-230 and doing something with the carburetor (I believe rejetting). Do these things make the bike more tolerable power wise?

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Sure, you can change the gearing on any bike. If you gear it down, it will have less top end speed. If you gear if up, it will have less low end grunt and will be less trail friendly. There would be no need to change the jetting unless there were modifications done...ranging from opening up the airbox to boring/porting, etc. The bottom line is....if you are looking for alot of power, dont buy a TTR230.

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
If I could do it all over, I would have started with a KDX200 or 220. There are some nice ones out there with goodies for $1600 - $3000. They really seem to be holding their value too.

VBLocal89

Feb 4, 2010
Okay thanks for all the input. One more question. I just started looking at the Yamaha WR250F. Would that bike be any good for me or could that be crossing the line into too much power or does it have the same problems as the TTR230? I'm just trying to explore my options here.

Thanks,
Brandon C

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
The WR's are great trail bikes, but they will be higher maintenance than a TTR or an XR. The TTR230 and XR series will run forever if you change the oil and clean the air filter. The WR will require valve adjustments periodically and will cost more to maintain. Generally, you pay for performance.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom