First dirt bike advice, Yes I did the sticky

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Ok I have been thinking about doing this for sometime and now that my divorce is final I will! I have rode street all my life and I am a bit too crazy for the streets these days and I'm looking to release some tension on the dirt.

there are several 2005 CRF 450's for sale in my area from 2k-2500.
I have 3 questions
1. Is this the bike for me? based on my sticky.
2. How does the honda compare to the other models in this range?
3. What do I look for on the bike when buying?

1) 6’3” weight 215
2) fairly aggressive but not sure how that will translate into dirt riding
3) woods, fields, trails with friends
4) riding experience, 30yrs street
5) Do you think you will race NO
6) I will do most bike work, built a street b4, may leave complex stuff to pro’s-enjoy easier stuff
7) Do you have a preference 4 stroke
8) Have all dealers near by
9) 2k-2.5k
10) Live in Texas
11) Age 45

Thanks,

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Hello fellow Texan. First off, let me say that a CRF450 is alot of power for someone who has little or no dirt experience, even if you have ridden street for 30 years. Todays 4 strokes are nothing like the tame, mild mannered XRs of the past. I would consider starting on a 250. Maybe you should ride a friends 250 to help with the decision. The #1 rule.....know exactly what you are looking for when you buy a used bike. You may want to search this site about different models. A CRF450R is a motocross bike...the 450X is a trail bike which is what you want. By the way, the best dirt riding around here is Redrivermotorcycletrails.com.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for the advice, I definitely want the x version. I was thinking I maybe too big for the 250x but maybe that is the way to go for a year or so.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Do you have access to any bikes? Riding one is really the best way to decide. You may be bored with the 250 in a year or two. By then you will be a better dirt rider and ready to step up to a 450. What part of TX?

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
live in flower mound, north of lewisville tx, I don't have availability to ride any bikes. I am looking on craigslist for the wr 250 and cr 250x currently.

I need a new hobby now that my divorce is final LOL

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I am in the same area. I bought both of my bikes off of Craigslist. Know what you are looking for when you go to buy...you can really get screwed if you dont.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
I am looking at 2 bikes right now and I am going to start a new post with there details, let me know what you think.

Jim

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
At your size, I'd not recommend a 250 at all..

Everyone told me the same thing when I got my 450.. Way too much power for someone without experience.

Well, the bike does come equipped with variable position throttle control. And I came equipped with a brain and a sense of self preservation.

I know what's too much for me, and back off when I reach that limit.

If you were 17 or 18 and never ridden, yeah, too much bike.. But.. if you ride a 450 with knowledge that it can bite hard, and ruin your summer, it's no more powerful than a 85.

If you do get a 250 now, you'll be looking to sell it in a couple of months. It just won't have the power you need to ride..

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
At your size, I'd not recommend a 250 at all..
Roughly my size... the 250F is the most fun I've ever had. That includes 250 2-Strokes, 500 2-Strokes, 450 4-Strokes.. all of them.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Huh.. I felt the KX250F was under powered.. I'm a tad shorter, but as heavy.. I guess I don't like winding it out as much...

Top Bottom